521 rearend failure

datsunfish

After some more in depth research I believe my rear end is going out.The shaft going in from the front has some nice slop.According to the old chiltons manual it has a list of road noises and the likely faults and mis diagnosis.

I know I can get a used one but I would like to have something reliable and/or badass.

What might be a good newer replacement or what would be the best ratio to go with should I have it rebuilt?

I appreciate any input.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure that jeff is right on this, at least most of those applications will fit and you have lots of gear ratio options availabe too. You can get as High as 3.70 highway gears and as low as 4.88 citi/hauling gears, might even be more options for the high/low out there, but you should not need that many options unless you are racing of 4wheeling it.

Jason

Pre '75 B-210s used H 145 rear ends and H 150s after. The 510 wagons used them but you have to swap the side gears. I think the 610s were similar. The 521s and early 620s had an aluminum H 190 carrier (lighter and maybe 4.88 as well) I think the roadster used the aluminum carrier as well, but the ratios would be lower numerically.

Aluminum H 190 carrier (with LSD)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/NissanH190aluminumcarrierLSD.jpg[/img]"]NissanH190aluminumcarrierLSD.jpg

The 2wd 720s had H 190s but switched to C 200s in the 4X4s around '84 when the Z24 engine was introduced.

I would have thought the 810/Maxima was smaller than an H190 but honestly don't know. Nissan also made an H165 that was used in the '80-'83 200sx.

H 190 (top) is a 10 bolt while the H 165 is an 8 bolt carrier.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/3620.jpg[/img]"]3620.jpg

My H 190 blew last spring because I didn't notice the pinion seal leaking, well it didn't (blow), but the driveshaft would wobble and move in and out at the rear end. (the pinion gear actually ground against the inner housing that holds the side and spider gears) Replace the seal when you get a replacement carrier and use synthetic oil.