Do I need to take out Engine to take Whole Front Suspension out?

Mini-L320

Ok so i've been driving the 210 for over 1 year now with this problem. Steering Wheel Shakes all the time. Sometimes I feel the car shaking also. I have a whole Front Suspension from another 210 that I have at my garage. Question is: Do I need to pull out the engine out to get this job done? Or can I just Loosen up the 2 Engine Bolts and have it Held on a Motor Jack while I loosen up all the suspension bolts and slide it all out as a whole?

I hit a pretty good Curb last year in the rain, and my lower Control Arm is bent from where it connects at the Cross Member.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just unbolt the LCAs from the cross member if they are bent or you suspect are bent. The cross member isn't really part of the front suspension merely a mounting point. I would remove the LCAs and inspect them/replace them first. Don't forget the tension rods and their bushings. The tension rods support and hold the LCAs in position. Worn bushings would allow the LCAs to 'wander'.

While under there check all the steering components for play.

I've replaced every Bushing, Bolt/Nut, Both Tie Rod assemblies and sway bar bushing kits. I did the whole Shabangbang!! :)

Still the steering wheel shakes. Also did new Tires, balanced. Wheels are Straight.

I wanna swap it out before it gets freezing cold and Snow comes down, the car scares me when i drive it on wet and slippery roads, it just wanders around on its own sometimes.

Have you checked your tires you my have a bad tire even if you have bent parts it should not shake at all speeds.

Tires are brand Spankin New. Have them set at 30psi on both sides.

Steering wheel usually starts to shake at 40-50mph after 50 it calms down and car drives pretty good. If I let go of the Steering wheel it will go to the left.

I can see the control arm Bent from the connection, it sticks out like a Sore Thumb.

Guest kamakazi620

Tires are brand Spankin New. Have them set at 30psi on both sides.

Steering wheel usually starts to shake at 40-50mph after 50 it calms down and car drives pretty good. If I let go of the Steering wheel it will go to the left.

I can see the control arm Bent from the connection, it sticks out like a Sore Thumb.

Alinement YO!!!!!!! check it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

So tommorrow (Thanksgiving) Im going to take the Engine/Tranny out of the 210 so I can swap my whole Front suspension. Hopefully I can get it all done in one whole day. I have a buddy whos gonna help me out also. I have the extra front Suspension from the other 4dr 210 That I have gotten for free. That car drove beautifully straight, and Mine goes all over the place. Plus the 4dr came with slightly stiffer front springs to help with handling and it also has new rotors/Brake Pads already installed.

I will get some Oic's also :D .

So tommorrow (Thanksgiving) Im going to take the Engine/Tranny out of the 210 so I can swap my whole Front suspension. Hopefully I can get it all done in one whole day. I have a buddy whos gonna help me out also. I have the extra front Suspension from the other 4dr 210 That I have gotten for free. That car drove beautifully straight, and Mine goes all over the place. Plus the 4dr came with slightly stiffer front springs to help with handling and it also has new rotors/Brake Pads already installed.

I will get some Oic's also :D .

Dude, you don't have to take the engine out!

If you must pull the crossmember, you can disconnect engine mounts, jack the engine

and suspend it with chains from some attachment rigged to one strut mounting stud on

each side. I've R&R'd a crossmember that way before and it worked like a charm. Be

sure to use strong enough chain and attachments.

Dude, you don't have to take the engine out!

If you must pull the crossmember, you can disconnect engine mounts, jack the engine

and suspend it with chains from some attachment rigged to one strut mounting stud on

each side. I've R&R'd a crossmember that way before and it worked like a charm. Be

sure to use strong enough chain and attachments.

Yeah I was maybe considering just taking the whole engine/tranny out. C'mon its only an A15 :P. Yeah so Im just gonna jack the motor up 2 inches from the engine mounts so I can unbolt the crossmember with control arms at the same time.