Truck died last night

oldschool90

Hey guys, need some helphere. I was out last night teaching my friend how to drive a stick with thetruck and the weirdest thing happened........ my truck just up and died. Well,almost. It’s so weird, there’s power, but barely. So since we were in themiddle of the road, I turned the flashers on (barely lit up) and went to aneighbors for a flashlight. Came back outside, and the flashers were on,working as if nothing had happened. So we try to start it up, and everything (almost)goes out again. So I think I figured out it is possibly doing it when the keyis in the ACC or ON position. An electrical short makes sense, but everythingin the truck is fused, and nothing was blown. So…. I don’t know how to proceed.And it being dark last night, and at only about 50° outside, and I only havingshorts and flip-flops on I haven’t had much time to look at it yet. So cananyone offer any advice? I’m at my friends’ house right now so I can’t doanything on it till I get home. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An electrical 'short' is an alternate path for current to flow from positive to ground. If on a fused circuit the fuse will blow. If not fused this usually causes a fire. Often the term 'short' is used but actually it's more of an 'open circuit' where current can't flow.

If your lights were dim it could have been a charging system problem or a poor connection resulting in lower voltage available for running the vehicle. Sounds like a loose battery cable.

The easy/cheap thing to do is check/clean/tighten the battery cables at the battery AND where they connect to the head and the starter. Check all fuses for poor contact inside the fuse box. Is the two wire plug securely in the alternator?

I'll check that when I get home. I'm kinda hoping it was just that I used the battery in our '63 Ford tractor, and that since the generator (what they used to call alternators in the 60s) isn't good in it, it just killed the battery and maybe something wiggled loose last night. Thats what I'm hoping anyways. Fingers crossed!