FS5W 60A parts?

Hello all,

1st post, so sorry if this is the wrong place or somethin easy ;) I am putting together a tranny for a coat tail friend of mine. However It is missing 1 of the "bulk rings" or "synchro ring". I have tried Nissan and other aftermarket companies but have had no luck. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Tranny Code - FS5W 60A

Car - 1982 Dastun 210 2dr. 72,000 orig miles:)

motor - A14

Not sure if that helps but thats all the info I have on it at this time. Not sure if it's a H pattern shifter or not. But am Certaiin it is a 5sp as I have seen and assebled the gears, shafts etc.

Thanks again for lookin...

Nick

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really?? I called Nissan and was referred to another nissan who "had all the older books". He told me I was S.O.L and they were discontinued. Is this part# actually for a 210 or something else that uses the same bulk ring? Regardless I will call them again in the morning. Is there a specific Nissan dealer to call? Whats the number of the one YOU call?

Thanks again for the speedy reply!!

Nick

Edit: BTW besides the age of these transmissions why is everything so hard for me to find? Are they used for swaps or what? Trans itself seems hard enough to find, let alone parts. But I am not a dastun guy really. 510's look pretty damn sweet though:)

Any other Suggestions? Atfer talking to Nissan again, Having them do there "database" search I have Found NONE at any nissan dealer, parts or warehouse. At this point I am open to all Ideas. I will post a WTB in the classified section of the forum.

Thanks for the help so far guys!!

Nick

Yes,

Rivergate, the FS5W60A is used in sprite conversions. Rivergate does mods to make the FS5W60A fit and has rebuild kits.

Here is the phone number for Rivergate Restoration Projects. At present their site appears inoperative.

423-332-2030

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

Found a 5 speed 60L for a A14. However before I get it the old one is a 60A. The 60L works so I wont need parts for the other. I can just bolt this in corect? It has the correct bell housing for the A. Not sure what tthe L and A are about? Can some one help me here?

So basically

swapping a FS5W60A for a FS5W60L. Is this OK or is there problems with this? :unsure:

Nick

Could be just me but, I think the L is a dogleg pattern..... Yeah I'm getting more and more sure..... Yup it'll be a dogleg by midnight. :lol:

It would appear that there is only one drive shaft for these two 5 spds. so it could be assumed they are the same length.

(edit)

Just thought of something. I searched almost all other Nissan 4/5 speeds to see if the same synchro was used with no luck.

Back in the '50s Nissan climbed into bed with Austin of Great Britain and was licensed to build Austin Cambridge cars, and did so. At the same time this gave them access to British patents and plan specifications. Ever wonder why the A series looks like an MG motor? Borg/Warner automatics were in the 510? Ever wonder why the oil sender threads in the Nissan blocks are British Standard Pipe? Japanese are better at assimilating than the Borg. They take something and make it better. I remember once when..... (but I digress..........)

Go to an MG dealer or European Car dealer and take your synchro with you and see if they have a transmission with one just like it. It's a long shot, and even if you win it won't be cheap.

Again I Dont know enough about datsuns to understand. Dogleg? this would be the "cool" tranny with reverse to the left and up as apposed to right and down? is there an easier way to bench shift these bad boys without the gearshift? (using a 1/2" extension now)

There is some wierd things going on also.

Looked at the 1200 club ID page. Seems to be a 60L for an A series Dogleg. Now here is the wierd stuff. bout 2" in front of shifting point there is a bulg in the case where the shift lever is in. Old tranny has a spot that looks like a bolt going through the case right at the top of the bulge. New tranny has two ribs and the "bolt" goes through the underside of the buldge.

There is also a spot on the left side of the tranny for a large sensor that is not on the old one. (tail section) And there is another sensor on the right side that is not even prepped for in the case of the old tranny.

can someone host the pics? I can never get them to post. PM an email and I will out uo some pics to help ID.

Nick