Need some advice/assistance on a car pickup

The details

My father is living in moses lake washington or really close to there. He bought me a 76 b210 hatch with an A series for my birthday. It runs and he made it 22 miles to his house. Its having troubles and dies after a minute or so and how my dad describes it, it sounds like a fuel problem. I have the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th of november off of work. Im leaving in the afternoon on the 5th and at the latest will come back in the afternoon of the 8th. MY PLAN IS TO DRIVE IT BACK! I have never tinkered with an a series but lots of L series and Im fairly confident.

ok, the b210 idles for a second. than it slowly dies off and deespite revving it, it still dies.

What should I look at first?

Flush tank?

new filter?

Carb adjustments/new carb?

A series are a mechanical fuel pump right?

Any advice for making a long journey in an untested car?

AND MOST IMPORTANT? is any one local that would be down to come out and give me a hand? Anyone local with a series parts (carb)?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sooo how long has it been sitting before you pops drove it home?

first off i guess change the fuel filters and try and get any old bag gas out. or put some premium in it with fuel system cleaner.

bring your tools. pull the plugs, clean em. make sure the wires are okay. check the brakes real good. make sure the tires are roadworthy. if its a stil make sure the clutch hydraulics work.

make sure it holds coolant. check if it has leaks.

take a bunch of carb cleaner. it sounds like it running out of fuel. if you have time to yank the tank and clean it, do it. and then use a compressor to blow out the fuel lines.

i bet you could get it back. as long as its hasnt been sitting forever...

Guest kamakazi620

The details

My father is living in moses lake washington or really close to there. He bought me a 76 b210 hatch with an A series for my birthday. It runs and he made it 22 miles to his house. Its having troubles and dies after a minute or so and how my dad describes it, it sounds like a fuel problem. I have the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th of november off of work. Im leaving in the afternoon on the 5th and at the latest will come back in the afternoon of the 8th. MY PLAN IS TO DRIVE IT BACK! I have never tinkered with an a series but lots of L series and Im fairly confident.

ok, the b210 idles for a second. than it slowly dies off and deespite revving it, it still dies.

What should I look at first?

Flush tank?

new filter?

Carb adjustments/new carb?

A series are a mechanical fuel pump right?

Any advice for making a long journey in an untested car?

AND MOST IMPORTANT? is any one local that would be down to come out and give me a hand? Anyone local with a series parts (carb)?

You got a LONGBED just drive that there load the b210 in the back and carry her home!!

A series engines are VERY simple. So you're in luck.

yes they are mechanical. Check your fuel pressure and see if it's adequate. Also replace your fuel fuel filter. Should be located on the fire wall on the passenger side. It's $3-4 at Autozone.

As for the carb, get a weber. You know how great they are if you have ever used one.

Before the long journey, put in new plugs, cap and rotor and inspect it thoroughly. Check ALL your lights and make sure you have someone behind you just in case something happens. you never know with an old Datsun that you're unfamiliar with.

I drove my 210 45 miles home in the pooring rain at just above 32 degrees with no heat and had no problems. As long as you can get her to run long enough to make it there, you should be fine.

Edited by metalmonkey47

A series engines are VERY simple. So you're in luck.

yes they are mechanical. Check your fuel pressure and see if it's adequate. Also replace your fuel fuel filter. Should be located on the fire wall on the passenger side. It's $3-4 at Autozone.

As for the carb, get a weber. You know how great they are if you have ever used one.

Before the long journey, put in new plugs, cap and rotor and inspect it thoroughly. Check ALL your lights and make sure you have someone behind you just in case something happens. you never know with an old Datsun that you're unfamiliar with.

I drove my 210 45 miles home in the pooring rain at just above 32 degrees with no heat and had no problems. As long as you can get her to run long enough to make it there, you should be fine.

Good advice! Thank you, all I run is webers but Im broke and Im really going to be working to get money together for this trip, so I wont be able to pick up one. the only weber I got is on the sixtwenty. Dont really want to pull it but will if I have to.

sooo how long has it been sitting before you pops drove it home?

first off i guess change the fuel filters and try and get any old bag gas out. or put some premium in it with fuel system cleaner.

bring your tools. pull the plugs, clean em. make sure the wires are okay. check the brakes real good. make sure the tires are roadworthy. if its a stil make sure the clutch hydraulics work.

make sure it holds coolant. check if it has leaks.

take a bunch of carb cleaner. it sounds like it running out of fuel. if you have time to yank the tank and clean it, do it. and then use a compressor to blow out the fuel lines.

i bet you could get it back. as long as its hasnt been sitting forever...

nice list neil. thanks

I've got several old/used cars and my advice for long journeys especially untested, after all the mechanical knowledge,parts,and help you can get . AAA with a good enough package to get ya home if it takes a crap. Not being cheeky, I always have bcaa to get me at least somewhere (usually home) that I can get her done. That said I hope you get it figured out and she runs home GL