My newest Toy

I'm hoping that someone on here knows Toyota products as I just bought a project car that a neighbor lost interest in. It is a 93 Lexus SC300 with a Supra Twin Turbo conversion. It runs great, very fast, except it is an automatic, and will not up shift at anymore than half throttle. If you get on it, it will stay in first gear, and just bounce off the rev limiter. even at low throttle settings it stays in low longer than it should, then when it does shift, because the throttle is barely open, it up shifts to 3rd and 4th almost imeadiatly, causing me to have to down shift it to get any kind of acceleration. right now it has the SC300 trans in it, but I have the Supra automatic that I can install if I need to, but it seems that this is some kind of computer problem or something is not hooked up right, but with no Toyota experience, and no luck finding the right shop manuals, I need some help from someone with a lot of knowllege about these cars. If you know anything or someone that does, please help, as I am missing the full enjoyment of driving this car, once I get the bugs out, it will be lots of fun, and I plan on taking it down to PPIR to play with Bob3. I will post pics if anyone wants to see it. I got it cheap, because it needs tlc, lots of cosmetic work, a small dent in the drivers door, clear coat peeling off the bumpers and a couple of other places, and the interior has a lot of cracked vinyl from being out in the sun too much. little by little I will get it in the condition a luxury car should be. It would be a great sleeper, except it has dual 4 inch exhaust pipes with no mufflers, only the turbos, and cat to quiet it down. there is no room to put 4 inch mufflers under the car, and it would cost a lot to redo it to 3 inch, plus it sounds so good (very deep rumble like a big block Chevy) that even though I would like to be stealthy, I really like the music it makes, plus the turbos spool real fast with no restriction. Any help will be appreciated. :blink:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping that someone on here knows Toyota products as I just bought a project car that a neighbor lost interest in. It is a 93 Lexus SC300 with a Supra Twin Turbo conversion. It runs great, very fast, except it is an automatic, and will not up shift at anymore than half throttle. If you get on it, it will stay in first gear, and just bounce off the rev limiter. even at low throttle settings it stays in low longer than it should, then when it does shift, because the throttle is barely open, it up shifts to 3rd and 4th almost imeadiatly, causing me to have to down shift it to get any kind of acceleration. right now it has the SC300 trans in it, but I have the Supra automatic that I can install if I need to, but it seems that this is some kind of computer problem or something is not hooked up right, but with no Toyota experience, and no luck finding the right shop manuals, I need some help from someone with a lot of knowllege about these cars. If you know anything or someone that does, please help, as I am missing the full enjoyment of driving this car, once I get the bugs out, it will be lots of fun, and I plan on taking it down to PPIR to play with Bob3. I will post pics if anyone wants to see it. I got it cheap, because it needs tlc, lots of cosmetic work, a small dent in the drivers door, clear coat peeling off the bumpers and a couple of other places, and the interior has a lot of cracked vinyl from being out in the sun too much. little by little I will get it in the condition a luxury car should be. It would be a great sleeper, except it has dual 4 inch exhaust pipes with no mufflers, only the turbos, and cat to quiet it down. there is no room to put 4 inch mufflers under the car, and it would cost a lot to redo it to 3 inch, plus it sounds so good (very deep rumble like a big block Chevy) that even though I would like to be stealthy, I really like the music it makes, plus the turbos spool real fast with no restriction. Any help will be appreciated. :blink:

Just had almost the same problem in the girlfriends DD... turned out to be the speed sensor??? dunno if it could be the same thing but is sounds very much the same

Clayton

Just had almost the same problem in the girlfriends DD... turned out to be the speed sensor??? dunno if it could be the same thing but is sounds very much the same

Clayton

If it was the the speed sensor, would the speedo still work? I just found out that the speed limiter shuts it off at 120, no traffic on the way home from work tonight. :P

If it was the the speed sensor, would the speedo still work? I just found out that the speed limiter shuts it off at 120, no traffic on the way home from work tonight. :P

Ya the speedo still will work its the speed sensor for the tranny... so the computer knows what gear to be in and when it failed on my girlfriends DD it would hold 1st for a long time and at times go straight to 3rd and stay there and other times shift quickly threw the gears into OD (4th)

• 1 month later...

got it fixed? if you dont, ask on here;

http://www.toymods.net/forums/

its primarily australian and we know them better as Z3x toyota soarers (still plenty lexus badged ones though dont get me wrong)

is it a 2.5L or 3L? sc300's come with a 2.5 twin turbo (later ones with single turbo), so if its had a supra engine conversion im guessing it'll be the 3L, a 2JZGTE?

make sure to note that in your thread if you're gunna ask for help, im pretty sure sensors will largely be same between 1JZ and 2JZ anywho, but the transmissions they come with are different so that might be confusing if you dont specify

got it fixed? if you dont, ask on here;

http://www.toymods.net/forums/

its primarily australian and we know them better as Z3x toyota soarers (still plenty lexus badged ones though dont get me wrong)

is it a 2.5L or 3L? sc300's come with a 2.5 twin turbo (later ones with single turbo), so if its had a supra engine conversion im guessing it'll be the 3L, a 2JZGTE?

make sure to note that in your thread if you're gunna ask for help, im pretty sure sensors will largely be same between 1JZ and 2JZ anywho, but the transmissions they come with are different so that might be confusing if you dont specify

Thanks Gary, I haven't gotten it fixed yet, second gear has started slipping, so I am waiting til I get a chance to get the trans from the Supra from the guy I bought the car from. He installed the 2JZ-GTE with the high millage SC300 trans still in the car, so putting the low mileage Supra trans in may solve the problem, at least that's what I'm hoping. I will check out that forum anyway as I need to learn all I can about the cars. I love the performance, but I'm old school and pretty ignorant when it comes to all the modern tech that is part of these cars, plus I have always been a Datsun/Nissan guy, so I have a lot to learn about Toyotas. :huh:

Thanks Gary, I haven't gotten it fixed yet, second gear has started slipping, so I am waiting til I get a chance to get the trans from the Supra from the guy I bought the car from. He installed the 2JZ-GTE with the high millage SC300 trans still in the car, so putting the low mileage Supra trans in may solve the problem, at least that's what I'm hoping. I will check out that forum anyway as I need to learn all I can about the cars. I love the performance, but I'm old school and pretty ignorant when it comes to all the modern tech that is part of these cars, plus I have always been a Datsun/Nissan guy, so I have a lot to learn about Toyotas. :huh:

i like em lots :D their heyday has been and gone though, its all FWD and hybrid and economy nowadays which is boring

the difference in autos might be tricky, do you have a pic?

the SC300 auto is a A340, which arent bad but need a little work to handle 220+rwkw, 2JZ's are about that when you've got an exhaust, front mount and a little more boost

as far as i know, supra turbo 2JZ's only came with the getrag 6 speed. the non turbo ones came auto but that trans will be the same one as comes factory for the old 1JZ in your SC300, an A340. i should be able to tell which it is from a pic though

Gary, It's a 2JZ-DTE, they came with 5 speed, automatic, or (the rare and expensive in the US) 6 speed in both Japan and the US. I would think that the DTE version of the auto would have different calibration for the turbo's increased power and different power band, but I haven't been able to find any info to know for sure. One guy I know, that was going to turbo a SC300 auto, told me that the stock trans is good for 450 horsepower. There is a thread on the Lexus Club forum that talks about someone that beefs up the auto, but I would think that is not in my budget right now, so I will keep the boost to 15psi or less for the time being.

For you guys wanting pics, I will get them posted as soon as I get a chance, I've been concentrating on getting the bugs out of the car, so I can get it smogged, and getting it looking better, so I'm not ashamed to be seen in it. A luxo Hot Rod is a little different than a Ratsun, and this one needs some TLC! So far I have 3/4 of the interior clean, replaced the AC/Heat contoler,color sanded the rear quarter where a bad repaint touch up was done, buffed out the whole car, and waxed it, fixed the instrument lighting, and lots of other misellaneous small repairs. On top of that I have been working on my 620, and my XJ, so not much time with me being back to work full time. I have also bought new wheels for it as it is traction lacking with the present 245 rear rubber. The new wheels are 19X9.5 front, and 19X10.5 rear, and will have 245/40X19s front and 275/35X19 rear tires when the budget permits, $200 ea for rears best price I could find, so a big investment! If you guys want I could start a build thread for this car, if there is enough interest, this means you Skib! :D