What trannys will interchange 720 4x4

fritoV

I have an 86 720 4x4 with the older style tranny, it has the pin that holds the shifter. It also has the short drive shaft between the tranny and transfer case. I think that it's the fs5w71b although it's hard to tell with it in the vehicle. When I bought the truck it came with a tranny a fs5w71c which doesn't look alot like the one in the truck, the shifter setup is like a ball and socket. Are these two ainterchangeable or is there a way to make it work? Fifth gear is out of the tranny in the truck.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a 720 they only came with an FS5W71B up until '86.5. After that they became D-21 Hardbodys and had the FS5W71C tranny. Biggest visual difference is the shifter but the C type is at least a couple of inches longer than the B.

Having said all this the very last few months of 720 production the Z24 motors were equipped with TBI just like the D21s. Possibly FS5W71C trannys were also used but I have never heard of it.

• 5 months later...

So I guess the c tranny is no good to me. Any idea what it's worth? I had a guy that works on Nissans offer to fix my fifth gear in exchange for the c tranny. Of course I would have to do the remove and install.

fritoV, what did you do about your transmission?

Regards, crowebar

• 1 month later...

Question, can collars and spacers be put in place of fifth gear? ball bearings are probably still easy to match up, we used to get bearings

at "bearing west" in LA COUNTY

Why? What's wrong with your 5th gear?