Datsun 720 interchangable parts....

Sabidee

Hey guys, Today I was in the local pick in pull; and was wondering if there are any interchanagable parts between the Datsun 720 2wd and 4wd models?

Just to clarify I have a 1984 Datsun 720 2wd with the earlier model bed....I have a crack dash too....so

Would Updated datsun 720 4wd:

BED

SEATS not the bench seat

DASH

4wd Front valance (i dont know if there is a difference....

Cluster

If you guys also know of any other parts that swap over please lmk...So next time I can just have a shopping list at the yard. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

alright, here is where it gets a little tricky

make sure its the after 83, the pre 83 has a different front valance.

The beds will swap, however. Figure out what you have on your truck, short bed/long bed/ or king cab bed, they are all different. u have to match what you have.

The dash will swap, but the gauges wont if its pre 83, without switching wiring harness.

The seats if they are stock will be a direct swap, bolt holes are already there in the trucks just unused if you have a bench. I pulled seats out of an early 80s accord and it was almost a direct swap, side to side was fine, but the back of the rails i just had to make a tiny L bracket.

• Like 1

Good thing is they are after 83...bad is that they for both king cabs....So no bed for me this time I suppose....But I did come across a Steering wheel hub on one that was a 6 bolt for the cool ebay steering wheels...:-D

I guess I will be getting some Bucket type seats from them and a dash... :-D

• Like 1

I believe the KC and the reg cab short wheelbase boxes will swap, size wise.

There were 4 different hoods '80, '81-'82, '83-'84 and '85-'86. (they probably interchange but may look odd, or at least odd to another 720 owner who knows what you have on there :lol:)

There were 3 different beds used on the 720s.... '80-'82 outer facing lip, exposed horizontal weld seam alongside of box, with horizontal tail lights in back, '83-'84 same as the '8-'82 but with vertical taillights in box corners and the '85-'86 with smooth seamless sides, inward facing lip on top and vertical taillights. (they likely interchange but may look odd)

The 1980-1982 models have a dash pod with square instruments while 1983-1986 models have a dash pod with round instruments. Tachometers and clocks in the pod were optional and are fairly rare.

'83-'86 dash with optional tach and clock I put in my 620.

STP80225-2.jpg

Certain 4wd models also have a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge located below the climate controls and above the stick shift.

720 dash with 4X4 console and oil and volt gauges:

620stuff002Large.jpg

Marker lights, bumpers, headlight pots, and grills are consistent between '80-'82 and between '83-'86. Most other stuff like glass, fenders, cabs... are switchable between any year.

Electric windows were an option on the ST model and the doors are different from the doors with manual regulators. A door with electric windows will not work with a hand wind up and visa versa.

KC and long box trucks have a long wheelbase frame that are basically identical but for the placement of the two front bed mounts. Short wheelbase frames are unique to themselves. A short wheelbase truck box should fit the long wheelbase KC trucks. (I think I mentioned this)

4X4 frames are totally different from 2wd.

• Like 1

I believe the KC and the reg cab short wheelbase boxes will swap, size wise.

There were 4 different hoods '80, '81-'82, '83-'84 and '85-'86. (they probably interchange but may look odd, or at least odd to another 720 owner who knows what you have on there :lol:)

There were 3 different beds used on the 720s.... '80-'82 outer facing lip, exposed horizontal weld seam alongside of box, with horizontal tail lights in back, '83-'84 same as the '8-'82 but with vertical taillights in box corners and the '85-'86 with smooth seamless sides, inward facing lip on top and vertical taillights. (they likely interchange but may look odd)

The 1980-1982 models have a dash pod with square instruments while 1983-1986 models have a dash pod with round instruments. Tachometers and clocks in the pod were optional and are fairly rare.

'83-'86 dash with optional tach and clock I put in my 620.

STP80225-2.jpg

Certain 4wd models also have a voltmeter and oil pressure gauge located below the climate controls and above the stick shift.

720 dash with 4X4 console and oil and volt gauges:

620stuff002Large.jpg

Marker lights, bumpers, headlight pots, and grills are consistent between '80-'82 and between '83-'86. Most other stuff like glass, fenders, cabs... are switchable between any year.

Electric windows were an option on the ST model and the doors are different from the doors with manual regulators. A door with electric windows will not work with a hand wind up and visa versa.

KC and long box trucks have a long wheelbase frame that are basically identical but for the placement of the two front bed mounts. Short wheelbase frames are unique to themselves. A short wheelbase truck box should fit the long wheelbase KC trucks. (I think I mentioned this)

4X4 frames are totally different from 2wd.

Mike, have researched this. King cab bed, and short bed will not swap. The wheel wells are in different locations. The short bed is further back than the king cab bed.

Hey Datzen Mike...Just to clarify...Will the rare 4wd Gauge cluster work with my 84 2wd setup? I just plan on garbing that exact gauges and dash and stuff from your picture up top.

It will, you should have some hidden wire connectors behind your dash to hook them up, if not you will have to do a little bit of wiring

Also, you will need the oil pressure sensor off the 4x4

• Like 1

Mike, have researched this. King cab bed, and short bed will not swap. The wheel wells are in different locations. The short bed is further back than the king cab bed.

The 620 aren't exact but are so close you can't tell. You sure it isn't close enough???

• Like 1

Hey Datzen Mike...Just to clarify...Will the rare 4wd Gauge cluster work with my 84 2wd setup? I just plan on garbing that exact gauges and dash and stuff from your picture up top.

The clock just needs to be powered to work. The tach will need a 2.2 K dropping resistor. I don't know if the 2wd harnss has the wiring already in it for the tach. It may only be in the 4X4? You can always add it, but dn't forget the resistor in line. They look like this:

720stuffLarge2.jpg

• Like 1