Transmission WTF?

Papi Chulo

Last Saturday Jonesy510 and I were planning on leaving to JCCS but something turrrrrrible happened before we left. I had to make a pit stop at autozone :o gets worse. We pull into the parking lot, I leave the car in first and go inside. I buy what I need, walk out, start car, put it in reverse and that's when it happened. The shifter moved further back than usual and felt really strange. I released the clutch and the car moved in reverse (okk.....) Then I put the clutch in and moved the shifter forward but it moved around awkwardly and wouldn't go into another gear. Released the clutch and it was still in reverse. WTF. Fiddled with it for a while and then decided to tow it home which luckily was only a block away.

Today I pulled the tranny out and the rear housing slid right off.... pulled the entire assembly out and inspected it. Other than a worn reverse gear it looks and spins fine. Reassembled it and the damn thing moves in and out of all gears FINE.

So....

I assume the striking lever popped out of position, which is why the rear housing came off without removing the pin/spring/plunger yadayada

What caused this and what is keeping it from happening again? I really don't feel like reinstalling this trans only to get stranded somewhere further than a block away from my house.... like long beach, that would've been a disaster.

Its a 5spd btw.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume the striking lever popped out of position, which is why the rear housing came off without removing the pin/spring/plunger yadayada

What caused this and what is keeping it from happening again? I really don't feel like reinstalling this trans only to get stranded somewhere further than a block away from my house.... like long beach, that would've been a disaster.

Its a 5spd btw.

Two things:

The striking lever is pinned to the striking rod. If the pin is sheared it could cause this. It could be snug enough that when put back in place it holds..... for now.

The bottom fork rod that slides forward and back to select 5th and rev. has a bracket that the striking lever fits into. This bracket is also pinned to the fork rod in a similar manner. Again if it has sheared the pin it could cause the same symptoms. It could also be snug enough to hold and move the gears.... for now.

If you have the tranny out I would carefully check both of these pins. The striking lever pin looks like the old style bicycle cotter pin:

cotter-pin-set.jpg

The lower fork rod bracket has what looks like a roll pin:

187rp075.jpg

Examine the 5th/rev fork where it is pinned to the bottom shift rod just in case also.

They're fine

would you happen to have a picture of a good striking lever mike?

Also the speedo "unit" was in too far and was jammed up against the inside of the case. The cable on my car is broken as is the speedometer so it was never hooked up to be tested. I put the keeper in the correct place and it spins freely now. I should buy a cable and fix the speedo....

Had to dig for them. (already lost among all the others) I had it sent to me just a week ago as a mater of fact and didn't expect to use it so soon.

84720002.jpg

The long rod at the top is the striking rod. The striking lever is pointing down at about 8 o'clock. You can see the cotter pin nut that secures it. The striking rod when in the neutral position sits in the square groove formed by the three shift rod brackets, bottom center in picture just below the speedo drive worm gear. The top one is 1st/2nd, then 3rd/4th and bottom is 5th/rev.

84720005.jpg

Here's a picture from the other side

Max5spd002.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sounds like a broken roll pin in the shift rod.

Drill the hole oversize, insert a bigger roll pin, a smaller roll pin inside the bigger one, then run safety wire through the roll pins about 2-3 times and twist it off and you will never have another issue with broken roll pins.

They can be half-broken off and its hard to tell without pulling all 6 of them them out.