Rear leaf springs

justin 620

Hello there! I'm going to lower my 79 620, with torsion bars and maybe 4in blocks in the back, but the problem I have is that it's really soft in the back, it has 2 leafs and an over-ride, and I'm assuming this is the standard set up?

My question is if it would be a good idea to add another leaf some how to stiffen it up?

And I heard that you need different shocks for different spring strengths, so if this is true would anybody be able to help me out with some ideas on which shocks to get?

Thank in advance for all your help, you guys always manage to help out :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not the stock leaf spring. I believe the normal one had four leafs, then there was CAMPER option and HEAVY DUTY option.

Weird.. I've seen a lot of 3 leaf set ups on 620's... I actually haven't seen one with more then 3, but you're the mechanic so I believe you. ha

So adding a leaf would be a good idea? cause running it so soft and lowering it doesn't seem to safe to me.

Flipped leaf is where you take only the bottom leaf, flip it, and bolt it back on the pack. It stiffens the pack a lot, maybe too much. My Datsun truck has that.

I would instead just add one more leaf to your pack.

What do you mean by not stiff enough? Is it bottoming out on bumps?

it hasn't bottomed out yet due to it's height, but i have a feeling when i lower it, it will. and when i'm driving it, the whole truck sinks into the corners, really badly... i just want the rear stronger so that i have a lil more comfort cornering, i know there's not much i can do for the front other then getting a shock/coil-over set, but those get spendy real fast.

Flipped leaf is where you take only the bottom leaf, flip it, and bolt it back on the pack. It stiffens the pack a lot, maybe too much. My Datsun truck has that.

I would instead just add one more leaf to your pack.

i am doing both of these to the goon, drops approx 1"

but this is about trucks...