Dizzy Swap

atkinson40

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to JY today and found a 620 that had a dizzy w/o points. My 620 is a '72 but has had the motor replaced with an 1800. What's the chance of this JY dizzy working on my 620? Thanks Kevin

Did the distributor have a small (1 1/2 inch by 2 inch) black box with a T-Connector on it? If so, this would be the infamous "Matchbox" distributor. No matter what your engine is (L16, L18 or L20B), snag it complete with the pedestal (sits on the front cover) and it will fit. Grab the ignition coil from the truck as well, or buy a new coil for ANY Datsun with Electronic Ignition (280ZX, 1979 Datsun 200SX, 1980 Datsun 510, etc, etc.)

There are plenty of writeups regarding the installation of this distributor. As long as it is the style described above. Install distributor and coil, gap your plugs wider (0.044") and enjoy the benefit of a hotter spark and better reliability. Good Luck with the hunt!

dont waste your time with the stock coil, just go buy a blaster 2 with warranty that you know is the bomb!!

Either way :)

I'm a purist, the more parts that say Nissan, the happier I am ;)

Did the distributor have a small (1 1/2 inch by 2 inch) black box with a T-Connector on it?

No. It looks just like the points dizzy except that inside it has a small coil pickup where the points would sit and a corresponding 4 pointed wheel that is on the dizzy shaft to interact with this small coil. It has 2 wires coming out of it versus the 1 wire now coming out of the dizzy with points. Thanks kevin

No. It looks just like the points dizzy except that inside it has a small coil pickup where the points would sit and a corresponding 4 pointed wheel that is on the dizzy shaft to interact with this small coil. It has 2 wires coming out of it versus the 1 wire now coming out of the dizzy with points. Thanks kevin

Sounds like Remote Blackbox to me. They're usable, just with more work to be done than the much simpler Matchbox distributor swap. Good Luck!