U-joint part #'s

boxboy

So I put new u-joints in my 1968 520 when I first got my truck. The originals were dry as a bone and vibrating. New ones at NAPA had c clips that were a little fat, so I sanded one side of each clip just a fuzz to get them to fit right. Now, maybe 150 to 200 miles later I have a vibration again. Checked and I have a rear u-joint that has obviously thrown grease and is sloppy cap to cap. Anyone have a sure fire part number to make sure I have the right joint, and any ideas why I have this problem so soon after replacing them? I mean, u-joints aren't brain surgery.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't have to sand the C clips. This may have caused the problem.

The replacement kit from Nissan is Pt. # 37125 14627

They are about $65 so forget that! Use the pt. number to cross reference something from NAPA. Make sure the yoke isn't damaged and the U joint fits properly.

I didn't think I should have to either, but I couldn't get them in otherwise. Anyway, I looked at "CarParts Manual" and they show snap rings that go on the outside of the cap. What I took off and put on had the c clips on the inside of the cap. Not sure why the discrepancy there. I will see what NAPA has with this number. I suppose I just ate the $25 bucks I paid for the first one. Ouch!

You were part right Mike. I only sanded one a little too much. Took the DL off and found the joint itself to be fine. But the c clip on the problem joint got sanded a bit at an angle. (Must have been the first one I did) Anyway, NAPA doesn't have any spares. They will more than happily sell me a whole new u-joint though. Anyone out there have any old c-clips from a Napa #391 U-joint they wouldn't mind putting in the mail for me?

sounds fishy, maybe you got the wrong ones? I'm doing them in my 521 right now and they are precision brand number 391 p#1092266-R. Are there 3 on the 520? im not familiar with them but my truck has one at the trans, then heads to a steady bearing then another u joint then heads to the rear diff where theres a 3rd. Hows the rubber in your steady bearing? i hear they like to dry rot and rumble more than they should.

The 520 has a one piece driveline. No need for a carrier bearing. I am using the same u-joints. The #391's. I just need a new c clip or two. Again, if anyone has one from this size of u-joint, I would be grateful if they would be willing to stick it in the mail.