521 front bumper bolt ?'s

pliggity

hey guys. i just got a front bumper for my 521. yes, before i bought any owners manuals/tech books for a datsun that could tell me this information...

i'm trying to find out, does anybody know what size/thread the mounting bolts are that go into the frame rails??? or better yet, anybody rock star enough to run out to the garage and measure?!?! no, that's ok.

oh, and... can i get the chrome square/capped bolts that fill the other holes at a regular hardware store? or home depot? the ones in the front of the bumper that the mounting bracket holes line up to.

i tried digging through my old collection of honda bolts, but nothin worked.

thanks in advance... this is my 1st datsun project, so i'm moving quite slowly (slower thanks to a herniated disc:mad:) appreciate it! i'll post pics in my project section when i'm done!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this thread:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=1264

If I remember the size on the bolts is 5/16, whatever the SAE thread fir that size bolt is a good place to start.

The bolts that hold the bumper to the brackets are a carrage bolt. Has a low oval smooth head, on the underside of the head there is a square that fits into the square hole in the bumper. You need six of them. There is also a double L shaped bracket that goes on the ends of the bumper, and two small round rubber biscuits that fit in between the double L bracket, and the lower valence panel.

I don't think I have any of this...

"There is also a double L shaped bracket that goes on the ends of the bumper, and two small round rubber biscuits that fit in between the double L bracket, and the lower valence panel."

Thanks for the bolt info. And the carriage bolts, available at Home Depot as well I assume?

Go to this website:

http://the620.com/620tech.htm

About halfway down the page, there is a link to download the factory service manual for the PL-521. There is a suggested donation, you decide how much you want to send the owner of the website. It is a large download, do it tonight, if you do not have a high speed internet connection.

The factory service manual does show most of the front bumper mounting hardware, but not all.

The front bumper is currently off my trucks, I would have to look and see if I can find all the hardware to mount it. It will take a little looking, and then I have to take pictures of the hardware, get the film developed, and then I can upload the pictures to you.

Where are you located?

I would try to get stainless steel carrage bolts to hold the bumper on. I cannot remember if the original stock bolts are stainless steel. or chrome plated. They are one or the other.

Home Depot will have the bolts... just measure the size of the squares in the bumper and compare it to the bolts in the store, then get a couple short ones. You'll probably only need about 1", maybe 1 1/2". Go with the stainless steel, and then get the nuts to match. You might want to get lock nuts or lock washers... I think one of the last things you want is your bumper falling off and getting dragged under the truck at highway speeds...

Do you have the brackets on the inside of the bumper? The ones that go through the valence? Or is it just the bumper itself?