Engine choices again!

Laecaon

So I plan on doing a swap at some point, not sure when, but not for awhile. That said I can always be on the hunt for engines and parts til the swap time comes. So when I first got my car I was into the KA, but then I realized that if I am going to do a swap go for gold and do a SR. And that I don't like the letters K and A together... But then I thought about the VG30DE. I have a wagon so it doesn't have the nice IRS like the sedans. So my thinking goes like this: Which has more power/potential for power? I would think the SR, but I have seen some crazy VGs. Next is cost, which is cheaper? I have a feeling a VG is from reading around. How about weight on the front end? Obviously the SR is lighter, but does this really matter with a wagon? Does the VG have the ability to overcome its additional weight? (I imagine I will be happy with the power from a VG). I do love the go kart feeling my car has currently, it loves curvy roads. I like the sound of a 6 cylinder more...

I am only talking about engines hear and the effects they have on the car, not about other parts required, installation... I have more than enough tools to do something like this.

I have gone back and forth about these 2 motors for awhile and still cant conclude anything. Will I be happy with a VG? Will it still handle? I imagine I can do some suspension mods to make the front lighter anyways. I think I like the VG more, but the SR is such an awesome motor!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: ahhhhhhhh geese , you get power or handling you choose :mellow:

Not about the tools , it's about ability/fab skills/networking

I imagine you will be happy with either , but I would go with the handling so you can take the damn thing on trips and still have enough poop. Besides , In my mind the SR Might? be worth more , fit better , and look clean/neat/presentable as datsuns are.

Do what you feel is going to meet your needs. It is always worth a little extra money to get what you want if you can afford to do so , you will 2x-3x happier as well

How much heavier is a VG over a KA? Aren't they about the same or is that the VG30e(I'm thinking of the DE) People seem pretty happy with the KAs. I just kinda like the idea of a VG goon.

As far as fab work and abilities, I know how to weld, I am fairly ingenious(humble? :)) I am a mechanical engineer major at school. And my dad is a forklift mechanic, sometimes working on the machinery at the port of Portland. And by the time I am ready to do a swap I bet I will know quite a few people from the forum, like you as you are from NW Oregon like me, who would be willing to help or at least come see the action.

I have it narrowed down to these two engines for sure though.

Doing a bit more research and it looks like the VG30DE is a bit harder to install and costs alot more, more than a SR? I dont know. But this then makes me think SR now as it is pretty powerful and lightweight.

Edited by Laecaon