born 11/71 datsun 521

pliggity

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my windshield seal doesn't seem as bad as the pictured one at any of the corners...

i seem to think that water gets in the grill/vent between the wipers, on the windshield side of the hood in the center, and puddles up, then leaks out however it may onto the floor of the truck? maybe through the "air conditioning" trap door?

not too big of a deal as far as visibly watching water leak...but something to track down obviously...i don't want to have water collecting under my carpet.

and sorry about the updates... i've been sick, broke, and have a bad back... so i used them as an excuse to be extra lazy lately!:fu: i'll really take pictures this week sometime.

Ya, now I remember Jerol telling me about the gasket! I'm not too concerned with what radiator it is until it starts failing...then I'll figure out which one to put in next.

And yes, I have more questions for you Doug...

1- what exactly is/are the matchbox ignition? out of what car?

2- what kind of shocks do you personally favor for lowered vehicles?

3- is this the original clutch that i'm babying around to keep my truck on the road, so i don't have to pony up the loot to replace it with a new one?

Thanks Doug!

Is that a new-to-you truck in your avatar? I heard you were looking at a 521??

1- what exactly is/are the matchbox ignition? out of what car?

2- what kind of shocks do you personally favor for lowered vehicles?

3- is this the original clutch that i'm babying around to keep my truck on the road, so i don't have to pony up the loot to replace it with a new one?

Thanks Doug!

Is that a new-to-you truck in your avatar? I heard you were looking at a 521??

Answers:

1- They call it a matchbox ignition because of the little black box on the side. Its out of a 79 620 pickup

2- I dont have any clue as to what shocks to use when lowering.

3- That clutch was in there when we bought it. Pull that motor and replace it! While you have the motor out you can clean-up and detail the engine bay.

I did buy a new 620. I was looking to buy a 521 and I still will when the timing is rite. I almost bought Rays, the one you got your wheels from.

what is a restrictor plate on a 521?

there were matchboxes also for the Z car and A series 210s also

the Black box is interchangable but you want a 4 cly L series . Like also from a 79 200sx or maybe up to 80 on the trucks also(720) X ref rockauto.com for some part #s

anytime pulling a motor in a truck just replace most as you can when it come sto clutch parts,as it likes like a pain to just pull the transmission. Dont be cheap get a New T/O bearing

an if you Man up get a Roadster Clutch

ok... so would a distributor cap & rotor from a 74 620 be the same? because 40 minutes later at the shmucks counter, that is what we found to be the same as the parts i pulled off... the truck runs decent enuff with these parts, but is the later year more of a correct fitment or does it matter? it's working now so i'm not too concerned. it is nice to know where to go when i do need new parts tho.

and as for pulling the motor, i know i need to just nut up and do it and go through and replace a bunch of seals and gaskets, but i want to do a full conversion this summer, so i don't want to spend a bunch of money on the L, just to pull it out this summer and sell it unless it will be worthwhile and fetch more money? as it sits, the valve train is starting to make a little more noise, the rear main leaks, there is a bit of a studder/hesitation around 2k rpms, and my weber needs to be fine tuned for idle & wot... most of which i'm again too lazy and in too much pain to do the work right now. plus i don't have a decent garage of my own anymore.

ok...so thinking out loud here, i guess it'd be a smart idea to go through and find out how much(or little) money i can spend on the clutch and new stuff for the L16 and how fast i can accomplish the tasks and go from there. if it's going to take 5 or 6 months to get the swap stuff going, i highly doubt my clutch is gonna make it that long!!!

as for the shocks... ray pulled the bumpstops out when he put the rims on for me (thanks again ray!!) and the ride is much improved... so i can hold off on shocks for a bit longer i feel. and that is why i asked, doug...cuz ray mentioned to me you were looking at his. good looking 620!

is there an equivalent clutch to the roadster from exedy/daiken or centerforce? or do i want to go with a standard factory replacement?

thanks a ton for all the info!! you guys are great!!

roadster pressure plate from nissan(200mm flywheel). Good for most L motors. Might need new Master or Slave cylinder, they could blow out. use stock T/O bearing and Disc

http://www.nissanparts.cc/cart/?pn=m-30100-rn410&submit.x=10&submit.y=3

Mr-auto-parts.com has the stock clutch and disc if needed.or use the Roadster above for DOUBLE the clamping force

Asco, Exedy/Daiken are all good. Exedy only sounds faster,but its the same

order a 79 200sx cap and rotor for your matchbox dizzy.

I still want to know what is this restrictor plate on a 521?

its a quote from old school, by will ferrell...he's in the driveway working on an old red firebird. its like the rotator splint on the girder beam, or the headlight fluid reservoir relay.

as for the clutch, i'm pretty sure that jerol told me that the master was recently replaced? so maybe i can just get a new slave cylinder... i'm waiting for a reply from nissanparts, we'll see how much this is going to cost...

and i'm starting to think that i'm going to spend the money on the L drivetrain and fix it up a bit before i start moving towards the engine conversion. this will also give me opportunity to make sure that the truck is in tip-top shape all the way around before tearing it apart, hopefully avoiding suprise headaches along the way! i'm a bit of a perfectionist on how i want things to be under my hood, so i'll start prepping things for the big swap while i clean up what is currently under there. and in the meantime, i'd like to do coilovers and disc brakes sooner rather than later, so i'll start working towards that.

i used to work at a dyno garage, so i'm going to see if i can maybe sneak in and rent a lift from them or something... otherwise, anybody near seattle interested in lending/renting some garage space/tools and a hand for a weekend? booze and smoke provided? just a thought, cuz i'm pretty sure my appt. complex wouldn't like me to yard the engine out of my truck on their 2nd floor parking garage:fu: i'm sure they're already happy with the oil collection they're accumulating in #252! damn those 36 year old rear main seals!!!

Is that FiveOneOh Ray? I didn't even think of it... My brother has a super small garage, but it has whats left of my tools and a engine hoist in it...but they're all unorganized and in cardboard boxes from my Mother helping me move. If I can't talk my bro into letting me borrow his garage for a couple of days, maybe Ray is down for rental fees?

So..I'm going to spend some time this week and accumulate a parts list for a good work weekend on the truck... clutch, seals, gaskets, etc... I'm thinking I may just go through the whole drivetrain and spend a few bucks...at least I won't have to nickel & dime things until I do spend a bunch of money on the engine swap. I need to spend some time and write everything out for an attack plan and a list of parts I need to buy, just to be super-organized before I even start to pull the engine out. Thanks again for all the help!

nice! i know exactly where his place is... he put my rims on for me!! i'll talk to him this week if things don't pan out with my brother...

i'm going to have to save some money for a couple of weeks i think tho... might as well do it all right now...

it'll take a few days for me to compile a parts list for all the things that i need/want to do to the truck.

any decent, worthwhile headers available? i need to re-do my exhaust while i'm at it...seattle city streets are hell!!! what's up with road paving, specifically in king county? is it really THAT hard of a job?!?! my exhaust has already fallen off once!

anyways, sorry... i'll post up once i have a list done up.