coil wiring

Braden

so im working on my 1977 620 and i have been studying the wiring diagram trying to figure out which wires i need to splice to get rid of the ballast resistor so i can run my blaster 2 with my matchbox dizzy. here is where things get cloudy. im sitting here looking at the coil, one would expect that on startup positive current would flow through the resistor and to the coil but the way it is wired up the negative side of the coil is wired to the output of the ballast resistor(black and white through resistor to white and black and out to coil). the blue wire (or the wire going from harness to positive on the coil) is wired straight to the postive on the coil. is it just me or was this coil wired backwards while it was on the truck????? wtf maybe its just because ive been under this damn thing all day putting in the clutch and tranny. if the coil is wired up properly then theoretically i should splice the black/white to the black/blue and splice those both to the white/black wire and run them to the negative post on the coil, and the blue wire will stay where it is running straight to the positive side of the coil. i hope this all makes sense and i hope one of you who is not as tired as me can fill me in

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'77 620 non-California coil wiring.

The Black/Blue comes from the dizzy and goes to the negative side of the coil.

The Black/White wire should go to one side of the ballast only. (this is on in the run and start position)

The Black/Red wire goes to the other side of the ballast AND then on to the positive side of the coil. (this is on in the start position only)

If the coil positive and negative terminals are reversed it WILL still work.

mike when you said the The Black/Blue comes from the dizzy and goes to the negative side of the coil you confuse me, on my points dizzy the only wire going to it was a small ground wire, did you mean black/blue come from wiring harness and to negative side of coil?

The coil is grounded through the dizzy. In other words there is power to the + side of the coil from the ignition. The - side goes to the dizzy and is grounded by the points to allow power to flow and build a magnetic field. When the points open the field collapses and the coil fires the plug.