Engine Build Possibilities

Logical1

Hey guys, I have been collecting misc parts for a while to build a nice L motor. I currently have:

Complete L20b with u67 head (whole things needs love though)

very clean 219 SSS head, titanium valve seats & guides but without a cam or valves

GREAT condition Garret T2 Turbo (water & oil cooled)

Several SU Carbs & parts

Misc headers, manifolds, intakes, ect. ect..

Right now I'm thinking about cleaning/refreshing the L20 bottom with Z20E pistons, Building the 219 head, & fabbing a suck-through intake for a single Z SU. With the 219 head and Z20E pistons compression is around 9.3 that should be low enough for 93 octane & the little turbo yea? I'm not looking to run crazy amounts of boost, just to get a little more out of an L20... I have the L block torn down and getting ready to hot-tank and wanted to get some input on boring it out and going with other pistons or other set-ups before I commit!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked into an airbox system for SU's up down left right & BACKWARDS! It is possible to do a blow through system but its ALOT of work and time/money and expert know-how. Most SU Turbo are single suck through systems. They are much easier to set-up and tune because the carburetor can still work on regular atmosphere pressure. While a blow through system has to have the float bowls pressurized and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator to keep up with boost pressure and turn it back down when your idling. Plus with a suck-through SU you build your intake/exhaust manifolds and just bolt the SU right up to the turbo. No intercooler, no piping, no turbo carb turning (kinda), no box building... However I'm very open to Ideas :)