Need some driveshaft help

I need a driveshaft for the Race Wagon IRS swap. My comp trans has a flanged output shaft, as does the R180 diff, distance is 39". My Roadster used a 34" double-flanged driveshaft (two piece with a splined junction), and my Z used a splined trans coupler. My 510 came without a drivetrain, so I don't know what driveshaft it comes with stock, can someone let me know? Length too would be great. I know the 1980's Versas came with a double-flanged driveshaft, but don't know the length. Just trying to get some info together before I head to the junkyards.

Thanks, Troy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying a stock 510 driveshaft is not double-flanged, but splined on one end, like the Z. Question - if I just remove the splined end and put on a flange, the driveshaft will now not have any length flex in it, right? The double-flanged ones have an inch or two of travel with their splined two-piece design to make up for movement in the drivetrain.

So you are saying a stock 510 driveshaft is not double-flanged, but splined on one end, like the Z. Question - if I just remove the splined end and put on a flange, the driveshaft will now not have any length flex in it, right? The double-flanged ones have an inch or two of travel with their splined two-piece design to make up for movement in the drivetrain.

Yes, stock 510 splined at front flange at back.

Well I had a big reply ready and then realized that the rear end is (more or less) solidly mounted and a slip joint unlikely needed. I don't think the rear end in a IRS moves forward and back much anyway.

Contact Bertvorgon AKA Keith Law on The 510 Realm. He has an FS5C71B or something, but it does have the flange output. He runs an 4.625 H 180 out back and must have solved this problem or found there is no problem running it.

Here's the tranny:

Transcloseratiocompititionboxwit-1.jpg

Thanks Mike, I was able to get a hold of Keith. He says he's running a splined-output comp box, so he just shortened his stock driveshaft. I'm just going to take a Roadster and a Z driveshaft to the shop and have them make me what I need.