520 four speed

boxboy

I have a 68 520 that was the PO's daily driver for two years. The U joints were so bad the rear seal in the tranny was useless. Tranny fluid all over the bottom of the truck. I fixed the joints and the seal, now wanting to top off the fluid. I drove about 100 miles since I bought this truck, and now that I am listening I can here whining a bit in 2nd and third, quiet in fourth.

Whats the best way to get in there and fill the tranny? Do I need to drain the old fluid out, or just add? I bought some 80w 90 at NAPA. Is that the right stuff? Does the whining mean it is a doomed tranny?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure you have the F4W63 tranny with a flat removable pan bolted to the bottom. There will be a single bolt in the center bottom for draining the old oil. The refil plug is about half way up the driver's side. The drain plug usually has a magnet on it so inspect for debris and wipe clean so you have a reference for next time. A black paste is normal, chunks of metal are not. Expect about 2 liters to fill up level with the opening. Use a short length of garden hose with a dollar store funnel in the end. You can run the hose down past the shift boot or down from the engine compartment to the fill hole. Have someone help you. As for the oil be sure it is GL4 or equivelent for use in transmissions with copper or bronze metal. Do not use oils marked GL5 which is exclusively for use in rear ends. If not sure look for a can that says compatible for use with copper or bronze synchro rings. Do not drive until the tranny oil level has been topped up, replaced or confirmed full by removing fill bung and dipping your finger inside. Oil level should be at or just below the hole. A growly transmission that is quiet in fourth is normal for worn bearings or low oil so fill it up now.

Pretty sure you have the F4W63 tranny with a flat removable pan bolted to the bottom. There will be a single bolt in the center bottom for draining the old oil. The refil plug is about half way up the driver's side. The drain plug usually has a magnet on it so inspect for debris and wipe clean so you have a reference for next time. A black paste is normal, chunks of metal are not. Expect about 2 liters to fill up level with the opening. Use a short length of garden hose with a dollar store funnel in the end. You can run the hose down past the shift boot or down from the engine compartment to the fill hole. Have someone help you. As for the oil be sure it is GL4 or equivelent for use in transmissions with copper or bronze metal. Do not use oils marked GL5 which is exclusively for use in rear ends. If not sure look for a can that says compatible for use with copper or bronze synchro rings. Do not drive until the tranny oil level has been topped up, replaced or confirmed full by removing fill bung and dipping your finger inside. Oil level should be at or just below the hole. A growly transmission that is quiet in fourth is normal for worn bearings or low oil so fill it up now.

Hmmmm....I have Delo Gear Lubricant, SAE 80W90, API Service GL-4/GL-5/MT-1....multi purpose....?

I also bought some 76 MP Gear Lube 80W90.....Meets all API specs GL-5 MIL-PRF-210SE. Looks like I'll be replacing the 76.

Yes Datsunmike I have the flat pan on the bottom. I don't know the serial#. So are you suggesting that I drain the old and do a complete fill? Scares me. I did it on my 84 nissan and found bearing races stuck to the plug and it cost me $800! I have spend $500 in 1 month with this truck just doing overdo maintenance and am ready to be done for a while. Sometimes I'd just rather not know. Ignorance is bliss! I will not drive though until I get this thing at least topped off. That has been my plan. Like I said, I was fixing so much other stuff that I didn't even pay attention until now. I fix, then test drive, fix, drive, fix, drive and so on. I am ready to just drive, but it sounds like I have at least one more round to go.

You'll know more once drained and changed. People over look this important oil change. It should be changed every 30K miles and usually passes hands to a new owner in between who know little and cares less about his 'old truck' and maintainance suffers. Then onto the next owner. Trannys should last the life of the vehicle easily if regularily maintained. I too have pulled the plug to see ball bearings and race pieces fall with a clunk into the pan. One tranny had so much wear the oil looked like silver paint.

Better you know now, though I doubt there's a problem, than to have it quit in the middle of nowhere. By all meand be on the lookout for a replacement tranny at all times. '68 would be a J13 engine? I think someone on here had a motor/tranny for sale on here recently?

Hmmmm....I have Delo Gear Lubricant, SAE 80W90, API Service GL-4/GL-5/MT-1....multi purpose....?

I also bought some 76 MP Gear Lube 80W90.....Meets all API specs GL-5 MIL-PRF-210SE. Looks like I'll be replacing the 76.

So.....I go down to the Auto parts store and question them on the GL-5 they sold me. They tell me GL-5 exceeds the specs on the GL-4 and can be used in my tranie........WRONG.

It says (which he reads to me)..on the smaller liter (76 MP gear lube) container.....for non syncro transmissions.

I bought some more Delo and shall replace the 76 oil in my tranie and transfer

I think someone on here had a motor/tranny for sale on here recently?

Yup!

I gots one. but I am weeding out responses to my ad currently there are 2 gents ahead of you in the queue.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21260-j13-1300-engine-for-sale-free/page__p__298839__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=298839

So.....I go down to the Auto parts store and question them on the GL-5 they sold me. They tell me GL-5 exceeds the specs on the GL-4 and can be used in my tranie........WRONG.

It says (which he reads to me)..on the smaller liter (76 MP gear lube) container.....for non syncro transmissions.

I bought some more Delo and shall replace the 76 oil in my tranie and transfer

Minimun wage morons. The trans case doesn't have synchros so GL5 should be ok there,

Minimun wage morons. The trans case doesn't have synchros so GL5 should be ok there,

Correct...morons.....Just changed the fluids in the tranie and transfer. I assumed that there no synchros in the transfer.. :blink: ...but I wasn't sure of any copper or brass which some GL-5 gear lube might 'eat'???? So.....I changed it anyways.

'Funny' thing is......He stated that this is the first time he ever heard of the differences between GL-4 and 5.

I wonder how many people he sold GL-5 to that 'has' synchros in their tranie?.

Note....they don't sell any GL-4.....had to go to another place.

Pulled the drain plug and the good news is nothing terrible fell out. There was a little of the black sludge, and just a few hairs of metal filings.

The bad news . . . not much fluid came out either. Maybe half a quart! So, this morning it is off to the parts stores to see if I can find some GL-4. If Napa doesn't have it, are there any other suggestions where to look? Might a farm store like Wilco or Coastal have it?

I also talked to my uncle last night and he has an engine and tranny out of his L320. I am assuming his engine is an E since it is a 1200, but would his four speed work? he put an A14 motor and tranny combo from an old B210 wagon. Just wondering if his tranny would be the same model as mine and bold up by chance. Then i wouldn't have to worry about buying one to have on hand.

No one in my neighborhood has GL-4! Now what? All they have is stuff that says "GL-3, GL-4, GL-5"

Being that it includes GL-4 in the specs.....should be fine??

I think.

Maybe

Possibly.

If if not right.....odds suggest I could be wrong.

:huh: :rolleyes:

As for the oil be sure it is GL4 or equivelent for use in transmissions with copper or bronze metal. Do not use oils marked GL5 which is exclusively for use in rear ends. If not sure look for a can that says compatible for use with copper or bronze synchro rings.

I found that CarQuest has a straight EP 90 gear oil that is GL-4 and even states that it is not for use in applications that call for GL-5. So I put it in and am rolling. It is much quieter, but I still hear a slight high whistle. I measured and the fluid that came out was about 3/4 quart. That was low!

That should do it, not much else you can do really. Maybe try a synthetic. The risk is that old seals and wear can allow synthetic to weep past them. It is extremely slippery stuff. I did't find synthetic any quieter, (It was quiet to begin with) but the shifting was difficult to describe other than to say better. Shifts seemed to 'click' into gear more loudly but not in a bad way... it's more satisfying really. A positive sound. The tail stock seal is only $5 and easy to change but a bit of work to get at.

Because the PO neglected the U's for so long the rear seal was bad anyway, so I dug it out. You're right it is a pain to get at. I spoke in tongues for a while after! But I put in the new seal and now that there is fluid in the tranny I guess I will see if I did it right!