Hitachi DAT602

since the parts store screwed me, i am in desperate need of the stock carb for my truck....

the carb i got a little while is not the correct carb for my truck and is causing running issues.

there are no vacuum ports on the carb so my vacuum advance is not working properly.

i need to get this thing running properly like yesterday and am running out of time,

cause the temp registration is only good till July and is not renewable

the truck is a 12/72 build date

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the only complete carbs ive been able to find have the part number DAT602 so i was using that as my reference...i will look for this part number to see if i can find anything.

i appreciate it Skunk.

i did get ahold of a company that might have the carb im looking for, they're supposed to call me back in the morning to let me know if they have one.

Youve got a 72... no emissions required anywhere. unless you just want a stock carb get a weber. Also, somebody might chime in here with more concrete info, the L18 and L20 carbs are a bit bigger.

Are you sure that there are no vac ports on the carb? Got pics?

Youve got a 72... no emissions required anywhere. unless you just want a stock carb get a weber. Also, somebody might chime in here with more concrete info, the L18 and L20 carbs are a bit bigger.

Are you sure that there are no vac ports on the carb? Got pics?

yes im positive there are no vacuum ports, there is a spot i suspect was a vacuum port but has been blocked of. passing smog/emissions isnt what im concerned about, im concerned if i roll into the vehicle inspection and it doesnt have something that at least looks stock they wont give me the hominus dominus

The '72-73 L16 carbs and the L18-L20B carbs are the same basic model, DCH-340, but as I mentioned there are honestly well over a hundred variants.

- Each variant was used less than one model year in many cases

- For each model year, the carbs differed per model of vehicle

- There were variants for each model car/truck based on options:

a) Non-Cali Manual Trans no AC

B) Non Cali Manual Trans with AC

c) Non Cali Auto Trans no AC

d) Non Cali Auto Trans with AC

e) Cali Manual Trans no AC

f) Cali Manual Trans with AC

g) Cali Auto Trans no AC

h) Cali Auto Trans with AC

So that's 8 variants for one model for one year, not to mention Canadian variants, then multiply that by the number of models and the number of years, you have hundreds of variants. Did I mention that Nissan wasn't the only company to use 'em? Isuzu did too. No parts store in their right mind can carry that many variants for a 35+ year old vehicle. So at best, they carry a generic "rebuilt" carb that fits "multiple" applications, with some degree of success. Finding the EXACT original carb is going to be frustrating to no end. Finding ANY DCH-340 is getting hard, because many folks pitched them. They are overly complicated carbs designed in the early days of smog laws. They work very well when new for how they were designed- to run with a working EGR system. The early versions deleted the EGR vacuum port on 72-73 ones since the EGR wasn't used yet, but they knew they were coming.

Any 72-74 carb will LOOK stock, but there are linkage variations (particularly with the 510 carbs). There are variations on what kind/if any BCDD was used. But you are more likely to find a core that needs rebuilding, which will never work right if you miss one part (and these things have little BB-sized check balls in them that always get lost). I gave up trying to rebuild them. I have a couple functional ones for L20Bs and a large pile of parts from a dozen dead ones, most of which evidently had a gorilla bolt the top down since the threads are all stripped.

Oh, Rockauto says they have them. $311.79 plus shipping. That's about what they went for at Kragen 20 years ago. It's not the Cali variant though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.