Paint ideas

The time's coming to start painting the candy apple red on my car. But I'm still trying to come up with neat ways to make the car unique. I have a quart of jet black to work with that DC sent me with the rest of the paint.

I'm thinking jet black BRE stripes and painting the raised cowl of the hood black. Opinions or other ideas??

Also, anyone set up paint booths in their garage before that could give any advice on garage painting?? I already have all the gear. Just looking to find a good way to set it up.

EDIT: I picked up a magazine with info on color sanding. Anyone have any experience with that? Is it worth the time, money for supplies etc.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bump. Ideas and advice please!!

Honestly, go check out the H.A.M.B. as most of what you ask has been covered there and this sort of tech covers any kind of car.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14597

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876&highlight=home+made+spray+booth

Just do search on paint jobs and such and all will be answered!

Have Fun!

I wouldn't paint in my garage...Unless it was big enough that you have at least 5 feet all the way around your car, massive amounts of light from many directions and most importantly...NOT attached to my house! I'd also want it empty so I could clean it super well and not risk getting over spray all over my stuff. I'd rent a booth. Last one I rented around here was $75 for half a day. It had a huge compressor with serviced oil and water filters which make for nice paintin'. Had a nice long hose too!

If you insist though. Clear it out as much as possible so you can hose the floor out. Sweep it out wet too. I'd also cover EVERYTHING with brand new plastic sheeting. I've used an improvised booth that used 2 huge fans from home furnaces set in boxes with the garage door closed down to the top of them. There was a door on the other side of the garage that I left open and taped mosquito netting over to prevent anything from coming through the door. It provided decent cross flow. Keep in mind that fans that are placed to suck air out need to have a motor that IS NOT in the flow of air otherwise you risk blowing up your shit 'cause it's pulling flammable stuff through it.

Keep your floor wet to keep dust down. Not sooo wet that you risk splashing water on your job though. Buy yourself a shoot suit to put on so you don't get lint and hair all up in your job. Tape it to yourself tight. Run the air hose up your arm and over your shoulder so you don't risk dragging it in your wet paint. Get a set of fine tweezers or dental picks to grab any chunks that end up in your paint...Bugs too. Always bugs...Wash your car 3 times...Seriously. Every nook and cranny needs to gleam. Even your wheel wells and behind your rockers so tape will stick to it. Unless you like blowing dirt from the floor and under your car right into your pretty paint. Over spray on the undersides of your rig is a great sign of an amateur job too...

Color sanding and buffing...I'm guessing unless you're a total pro spraying in an operating room.that you're gonna want to do it...You'll likely get all sorts of dirt in your job 'cause of various reasons. Runs too...The paint you're using isn't catalyzed right? If so you're gonna have to wait a while before you do it. Hopefully you put enough clear over your color that you don't rub through!