a/c compressor L20B

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only compressors I've seen on L20Bs were the old York piston types. Large and heavy, but last forever if you get a good one. I have a factory mount one on the L20B in my '79 200SX. It mounts down low on the driver's side of the engine. I've seen them on 620 pickups and I suspect the late '70s 510s had an AC option. If you could find one of these brackets at a Pull n Save, it would bolt right on. But there may be good reasons to use a more modern style compressor. I'm not familiar with those at all. They are smaller and lighter is all I know. I suspect there isn't a bracket made for these to bolt directly to an L20B. However, getting a wrecking yard bracket for the newer type compressor (probably wouldn't have to be from a Nissan) and having it modified for the L20B block might be a way to go. Weld the bracket to a plate drilled for the bolt holes on the L20B block, and there you go. Seems easier than having a bracket welded up from scratch. Maybe someone out there in 510 land has done a mod like this, and someone here on Ratsun will know about it. I have AC fantasies for my 510, but need to get it running reliably first. So please post if you find a solution for the bracket.

Len

77-79 620 & 80 720 L20B had the smaller round compressors (Sanborn compressor I think was the name of them) anyway the brackets on the 620 are different from the 720 but both mount to the lower left side of the block. The differenece I think in the brackets would be from the way the steering gear mounts. On the 620 it is inboard of the frame and the 720 is out board of the frame.

As to which would work with the 510 I do not know but I would think the 620 would be more likely.

I am picking up a 620 bracket tomorrow if it is still at the J/Y.

I will post pictures of the 720 & the 620 AC compressor brackets tomorrow night if I do get the 620 tomorrow.