Is it worth it?

After reading just about every post about carbs on the board I was thinking about buying Weber 32/36 this weekend. I have an 85 KC 4X4 with 160K on it. The truck starts and runs well and gets 17 mpg, but has a slight stumble when I shift. I did a tune up and was able to tune out most of the stumble, but not all. I can't tell if the secondaries are opening or not. Should I be able to hear, or feel it when they open like on a four barrel? Other issues are that the throttle control solenoid does not work and the float level is a little high. The muffler rusted through and fell off, so I'm having a complete new system put on next week with 2" pipe and a Flowmaster 60 series. I guess I'm just wondering if I'll notice much of a difference. By the way this truck is just a dump runner and hunting rig, so if mpg goes down it's no big deal.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking truck.

2ndaries on a stock carb are vaccum operated(diaphram). so when you go over a certain speed more vaccum the plate will open letting gas in that circut.I guess ck the plate and push on it see if its smooth opertaion.

What I used to do soemtimes is get the motor reving hight enought and cover the main bareel with your hand and open the secondary and see if motor stays running.

Weber DGV has a mechanical 2nd. which somtimes has a bog also as it opens up the 2nd dary.The stock carb is smoother.

As with the newer Napz motors their is more emmision stuff and hardware. alsway ck on these but IM not a NAPZ guy. all I can say it do the basics and time it again. Maybe adjust the mixture also.

You say a slight stumble when you shift? You might not even get up high enough motor speed wise to get in the 2ndary side of the carb.

For the exhaust Flowmasters are loud and they rust from the inside out. Its almost better to get a cheap Turbo muffler from Thrush,Maremount CheeryBomb Turbo 2 or a Dynomax super turbo. 2inch would be fine.NO more than 30$ for the muffler.

Even my Dynomax is getting louder and want to get a more quiet muffler

Datzenmike should be able to help more on this subject.

Thanks for the advice. I've been very happy with Flowmasters on three previous vehicles. I didn't think it was loud enough on my V8 Jeep, but this is my first four cylinder truck so we'll see how it sounds. Right now It's just the cat and about 2' of pipe and it's not to bad.

Sounds like you have your mind made up already on the Flowmasters.I think most are big and heavy.

Datdoug on here had one and he didnt like it.Too loud Usaully get a cetain resonance right above hiway speed.Get annoying after awhile. Im sure around town its fine.

A Toyata Tundra guy here says they rust out at the vaines they put in on the bottom. Can see the outline of the vaines as they rust thru.

Your cat will help keeping the noise down better.

• 3 weeks later...

It WAS worth it. I started by having the entire exhaust system replaced with a new cat, turbo muffler and all 2" pipe. That alone made a respectable difference. The old cat was so plugged we couldn't see any light when a flashlight was shined through it. I bought a new 32/36 Weber kit yesterday and installed it last night. This morning I finished up the last few things and took it for a test drive. It's a whole new truck. The Weber really woke up that old engine. I went and filled the tank so I can see if the mileage changes. With just the new exhaust it was still right at 17 mpg. Question. What should I set the timing at now that all of the emissions have been removed?

i have a naps z24 i run the timing at 10-12 degrees advanced, some say thats a little high but i have never had any detonation problems, i would say set it around ten, also try some different settings you might notice a sweet spot... britains set their timing as advanced as possible without encountering detonation

we ran a bunch of mufflers thru a flowbench when I was in school. Flowmaster faied very poorly, the noise doesn;t = flow. Magnaflow and borla were by far the best, I'll try to fing my notes that have the actuall numbers. the pos $14 turbo muffler from O'reiley flowd better than the flowmaster

They didn't have the Flowmaster I wanted, so I just went with what he called a performance turbo muffler. I don't know what brand it is, but it sounds nice. I'm not really concerned with the mileage just curious. Thanks for the advice. With the huge improvement of the 32/36 I wonder what a 38 outlaw would do.