210 takes forever to start..

hulk210

Like the title states, my 1980 210 takes forever to start now. i find myself pumping the gas 8-10 times prior to starting, just to have it die out once in turns over.. repeat process 2-4 times before it wants to get going without dying.

i do know the stock carb was rebuilt sometime last year, but this is my first car that was not equipped with fuel injection. not sure if that makes a difference. everything else is stock.

A14 motor with 135,xxx miles.. everythings stock.

thanks in advance

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

id check the choke also, then a good full tune up, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, blah blah... dump some carb cleaner in there too and clean that sob out, gas today is horrible. change filter too.

X2

I think you just about covered all the possible problems there. lol

When the motor is cold, remove the air filter and look down at the carb. The choke plate will be open or partly open like this:

carb720shouldlooklikethisLarge.jpg

Pump the throttle by hand and the choke plate should snap shut fully like this:

carb720notlikethisLarge.jpg

you guys are awesome. changed the oil and air filter a couple of weeks ago, was planning on doing the rest this week. thanks for the pics. complete noob with this car.. thanks again

One thing I've noticed with these stock Hitachi carb's is that the choke pull-off diaphragm has a tendency to wear and eventually will not work properly and leaks vacuum.

One thing I've noticed with these stock Hitachi carb's is that the choke pull-off diaphragm has a tendency to wear and eventually will not work properly and leaks vacuum.

thanks for the heads up. i will get it checked this week.