411 brakes help?

AZhitman

I;'m ass-deep in the restoration of the front suspension on Alice, our 411 wagon.

Putting the disc brakes back together, and I think I may have something back-asswards...

Pads are angled (which is correct for this model), but they're angled the wrong way to go in smoothly.

Starting to wonder if I got the brake shield / caliper mount plate reversed L to R.

Can anyone verify whether the floater pins (with the spring) are oriented with the big one up top and the small one at the bottom, or vice-versa?

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Greg - Hoping I just have the dust shield / caliper mount plates reversed L to R. What a PITA.

On the other hand, it's awfully nice working with clean, freshly-painted parts!

012.jpg

One or two of the 510 parts interchange.....you might try referring to a stock 510 setup. Just looked at a couple of pics....the out pad had the thick end at the top if that helps at all.

Too bad you don't have some drum hubs.....Infinity brakes would be much nicer and I still have one kit left :)

The only thing I found that really was interchangeable was the cylinder itself. The caliper plate on a Dime bolts to the upright (like a modern Nissan).

The 411 has the caliper plate integrated with the dust shield.

I tried reversing them (thinking I may have mixed up L and R, but they only go one way (lower part of dust shield hits LCA if they're reversed).

Now I'm totally lost. :angry:

I did some digging...this is the only other pic I have a a stock setup....but after re-reading your original question...I think it may answer it :)

100_5166.jpg

My reference to the 510 was that the pads are probably oriented the same way as the 411....since the reason for the angle would be the same.

Mike, is that a 411?

Thanks you much! Now I just need to figure out why the bracket / shield isn't clearing the LCA... Bet I did something stupid. :)

Will swap sides tomorrow and see what I come up with (all those efforts keeping the L and R side separated during the restoration and I STILL managed to somehow get them mixed up!)

And that view is of the RF wheel, from the rear looking forward, correct?

I'm starting to wonder if I just have incorrect brake pads (angled the wrong way).

Looks like I'm chasing a ghost here.

All 4 pads are identical. No matter which way you orient them, the bottom outside pad is wider at the bottom, which is the opposite of the way they need to be to fit in the caliper.

WTF.

SO, I guess now I'm on a quest for new 411 brake pads. Which is a crock of shit, because that's throwing off my whole schedule for finishing this thing up. :(

EDIT: Found pads at NAPA. From the picture, it looks like there's a R and L set.