1981 280ZX Turbo rear strut issues

yellowdatsun

Back when I ordered the rear struts for my 1981 280ZX Turbo, we were having trouble finding the correct ones. The ones we ended up getting were listed as being correct for the 81 turbo, but as it turns out, the perch height was about an inch too high. Thus raising the car. So now it looks funny. Anyone know the *correct* rear struts for an 81 turbo ZX? Do you also know what years/model had the different height perches?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...Anyone know the *correct* rear struts for an 81 turbo ZX? Do you also know what years/model had the different height perches?

I didn't realize there was a difference, but there seems to be different part numbers for 79-81 and 81 (Turbo) + 82-83.

For KYB, they give two different P/N's : z-store

However, for Tokico, there is only one part number for all 79-83 ZX.

I happen to still have the KYB's that came on my '82 ZX when I bought it, now I have Tokico "blues" installed. I can measure the difference in spring perch, but I don't really want to take them out of the car. How about measuring from the bottom of the strut to the perch? As long as the overall strut height is the same, I think this will work.

Another difference could be that with KYB, they assume you're using the tall stock springs, but with Tokico "Blues" they assume that you're going to use their shorter lowering springs (just thinking out loud here).

What manufacturer of struts did you buy?

Cheers, -hughdogz

I have seen a few 280ZX's with really high suspension in the back. I always thought it was the springs. I had that problem on my 1983 Z when I bought it.

I actually don't think any year of 280ZX should have a different spring perch height.

I now have the Tokico rear shocks and they are the same part for all years 1979-83

Hi Bleach,

I could be mistaken, but I thought I heard Bryan Miner saying that he uses 2+2 rear struts / springs to be jacked-up in the back. He liked this since you would get more travel when the ZX squats, so you wouldn't bottom out on the bump-stops.

I'm not sure if this is true, we think they are the same on the S130 suspension Tech threadover on Hybridz.org

[Edit: I'm no suspension expert, but could it be that the "raised" height is due to replacing the worn-out strut? Any before and after pics? Have driven it to see if the rear will drop after the struts are cycled? I'm sure that you checked the springs were still clocked correctly in the perches before lowering the car off the jackstands...]

It is possible. I had a 2+2 for a while and it wasn't nearly as high as the 1983 2-seater I have now. I just doubt the extra 150 pounds near the rear of the car would lower it that much.

When I put lowering springs and struts in the 2+2, it only lowered it 3/4 inch. They were of course "coupe" only lowering ST springs and you would think there would be more of a drastic difference if the stock 2+2 springs were much higher.

My '83 coupe was so high in back that the wheels had positive camber. I guess it goes to show that there are taller perches or springs but its not certain what they were made for originally.

It's definitely the perch on the different strut tubes. I saved one old one just because, and glad I did, because measuring between the two there's a good 1" difference in perch height. I wouldn't have thought it either, but it's right here in my shop to look at.

I also ran across the same part number problems as hughdogz, one manufacturer stated two different numbers, and the other had only one number. Apparently whatever I ended up with was NOT the correct ones.

The ones I have in the car now are KYB KG9113, listed as being for the 81 through 83 280ZX. It's odd though that the part number I have, doesn't match the ones in the link above........but if you search online it IS listed for the correct car.

Be interesting to find out where exactly they changed.