Sunny idle problem

metalmonkey47

So to keep it simple, my sunny has had a problem with a high idle since day 1. It likes to idle around 1000RPM cold, but as the engine gets warm it averages 1500-2000RPM. I've gone through just about everything and can't find anything suggesting a problem. Choke is okay, no vac problems those sorts of things. I don't believe it's an adjustment problem either. Ideas?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have an idle adjustment screw?

Why not just turn the idle down.......... and then use the choke until it warms up....

Tried that. It won't idle high enough when cold. It stalls in a hurry. Makes it seem as if it's not an adjustment problem.

Find the secondary vacuum diaphragm and pull up and down on the rod that opens the secondary throttle plate. The secondary may not be fully closed and air leaking in.

Makes perfect sense. That would explain the rough idle when the choke is closed.

I bought a Z24 and swapped it in in the fall. Got it running the next spring and it had a 1,200 rpm idle. NOTHING I did would bring it down, I tried everything including re building it and gave up. Later that summer I was messing with it for something un related and the secondary snapped shut and it stalled because I had the idle speed and mixture turned down. I reset them and bliss. Never noticed that the secondary was open ever so slightly... doesn't take much.

I bought a Z24 and swapped it in in the fall. Got it running the next spring and it had a 1,200 rpm idle. NOTHING I did would bring it down, I tried everything including re building it and gave up. Later that summer I was messing with it for something un related and the secondary snapped shut and it stalled because I had the idle speed and mixture turned down. I reset them and bliss. Never noticed that the secondary was open ever so slightly... doesn't take much.

I never would have thought of that. It makes perfect sense now that I think about it. I appreciate the help. This has GOT to be it.

Well that's good... it's eliminated as the problem.

Is the fast idle cam stuck? Its a plastic cam with steps on it and connected by a linkage to the choke. In the picture its the white plastic thing with the steps on the bottom. Once the chole warms up it should drop down out of the way and NOT hold the throttle open for a high idle. WD-40 the area and work all moving parts back and forth to loosen and lube them.

carbZ24idlestepLg.jpg

Here's a better shot of it. You can see the fast idle adjustment set screw against it. When the engine is cold and you step on the throttle to set the choke on, a linkage allows the plastic cam to drop of it's own weight and now is in the way when the throttle is released. The set screw sits on one of the steps holding the throttle slightly open and allowing more air in for a fast idle warm up. Once the choke warms up and opens the linkage pulls up on the fast idle cam and lifts it up out of the way allowing the throttle to close to it's proper idle setting.

carbZ24fastidleadjustLg.jpg