How hard is too hard

SurgeL320

On the crank , i can turn it over by hand but for some reason after my rebuilt it doesnt want to crank over to start. It gets really hard to crank by hand but i can still do it. It acts as if the battery is slow when i power up but its fully charged .

What could be the problem ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: It's re built!!! It probably only had 90 PSI compression before and now has 185 on all cylinders. Also the rings are rubbing against freshly honed cylinder walls and all bearings have closer clearances. Damn right it's tighter. It will loosen slightly after a few hundred mile break in. Don't worry, this is good.

Did you do the rebuild, or did someone else? Are the cylinders still stock bore, or overbore? I ask because maybe the cyls weren't fogged and that thing is just dry.. I've always fogged cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil on bike engines not to mention assembly lube, maybe pull the plugs and turn it over to make sure it turns freely, maybe the timing is off as well? Good luck...

• Like 1

Did you do the rebuild, or did someone else? Are the cylinders still stock bore, or overbore? I ask because maybe the cyls weren't fogged and that thing is just dry.. I've always fogged cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil on bike engines not to mention assembly lube, maybe pull the plugs and turn it over to make sure it turns freely, maybe the timing is off as well? Good luck...

I did . Im trying that now as it did sit for a few months after the rebuild. took the spark plugs off and im lubing them up , maybe the timing is off, well see

Yep could be.. a good test for that would be to pull the plugs and relieve compression, while also making sure it spins freely. I would definately double check the cam timing before doing so.

ok Just tried that and it turns over freely. I put the plugs back on and nothing so now im checking timing , i gotta hit the books and watch hainz vid again to remember . thanks man

Hot 350s used to do that too. Whut...whut... whut...wut.. wut. wut wutwtwtwt vrooom.

Timing seems good guys. intake at 10* exhuast at 2* , mark lines up on cam , #1 piston tdc on compression. ??? Did i mention this is a l20b block with L16 head . I rebuilt it beaucause I was told it burned oil. Ill keep trying

Im gonna try and retard the timing by one tooth. I have the cam chain off now , can i put it back on with out removing the cam or not?

I'm just learning L engines, but I don't know if I'd do that if everything looks good by the timing marks. One thing that did happen to me and a buddy years ago, we had a distributor 180 degrees out and the same kinda thing happened.. maybe check that as well?

hehehe im sorry i know how much it sux cause when i put my motor back together i had the same problems... well kinda....i know how much of a pain in the ass it is with the tensioner. im sorry to hear about ur motor tho.. it sounds to me that the starter was just to weak and or not enough power.....

hehehe im sorry i know how much it sux cause when i put my motor back together i had the same problems... well kinda....i know how much of a pain in the ass it is with the tensioner. im sorry to hear about ur motor tho.. it sounds to me that the starter was just to weak and or not enough power.....

Yeah man it blows lol. But atleast i learned alot about the setup of the engine. When you tear this deep into something you cant help but master it . ha . and the starter was new

One thing i forgot to check is piston ring gap, didnt think it would be a make a difference since it took the complete piston to a reputable machine shop but now i gotta go through everything to make sure . Im pulling it tomorrow again to recheck ,reclean, and paint . This time ill try and get it running OUT of the truck.Im gonna polish some stuff too. Ill post how it goes

• 3 weeks later...

I put it back on #1 dowel . The problem im having is it feel as if it has too much compression. I remove all the plugs and it cranks fine, i install 1 and it gets harder but with all 4 spark plugs it cant overcome the pressure in the cylinder ???? Im gonna go test the battery and starter