1974 datsun 710 auto trans

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I have asked this of Mark_Z28 before, and offered the same driveshaft.

(Yep, I was right: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/1446-driveshaft-and-auto-trans-crossmember-for-710-needed ) 7th post down on that thread.

Will one from a 610 with automatic work?? I will have a surplus driveshaft here available by the middle of May. It came from a 610 sedan with the 3 speed automatic. I am sure the lengths have to be the same. Both cars have a 2500mm wheelbase and the mounts for everything would be (damned near) identical.

Just a thought...

It looks like the auto and manual 710 drive shafts are different, at least by part numbers. The 610 uses the same drive shaft to both the auto and the standard but it is also a different number from either of the 710 shafts.

It looks like the auto and manual 710 drive shafts are different, at least by part numbers. The 610 uses the same drive shaft to both the auto and the standard but it is also a different number from either of the 710 shafts.

The only reason I could possibly see a P/N difference would be because the 610 has IRS, and obviously a separate differential and half shafts, versus a 710 which has a straight, live axle. Would the ends of the driveshafts be that different between them???

Well, now it goes back to what I asked Mark_Z28 back in August 2008: I will need a measurement to verify.

I know he has needed this part, and the 3 speed driveshaft that I have (literally) laying around gathering dust is no good to me with the L4N71B swap that I am working on. At the very last resort, he could use the 610 driveshaft and hack off the end where it attaches to the differential and have one from a 710 welded and balanced.

Forgot all about that. The one guy in the post said he was going to get an auto trans 710 and swap a stick in it and he never got back with me and I geuss I never came back when he didnt reply later. I do now have the right crossmember at least. I will try to get measurements on the bolt pattern on the yokes but I still have no idea how long the shaft needs to be. The flanges should be the same though, mainly the length of the shaft is what matters most since I can swap flanges with the original 710 shaft.

Forgot all about that. The one guy in the post said he was going to get an auto trans 710 and swap a stick in it and he never got back with me and I geuss I never came back when he didnt reply later. I do now have the right crossmember at least. I will try to get measurements on the bolt pattern on the yokes but I still have no idea how long the shaft needs to be. The flanges should be the same though, mainly the length of the shaft is what matters most since I can swap flanges with the original 710 shaft.

I would expect it's a length thing. The 710 uses an H165. I have an auto L18 in mind I could do some measuring.

Send me what you both find. Like I have mentioned, I have one from a 610 with automatic. I am swapping to the 4 speed auto, so the 3 speed driveshaft is surplus. Would be happy to ship it to Mark_Z28 for the right price, just to see it get a good home. And to see his 710 up and running!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.