chevy 12 bolt 6 lug rear end

what

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I have a good 12 bolt chevy 6 lug rear end with a 3.73 limited slip diff. I was thinking of having this rearend narrowed to fit under my 70 521. Any body ever had a rearend narrowed? Is it expensive?

Why not a toyota diff, or jeep Dana 44. The 12 bolt is a c clip axle. It would be a lot of work to narrow that pig down. New axles, etc. The 44 or the yota axle have real axle bearings and axles that can be cut and re-splined. Just my thoughts. The only way to build a nice 12bolt is to buy a moser one with 9" ford housing ends, And the last one I built at my cost was close to 1600, they are closer to 2 grand now.

Thanks

Bryce

Brian at Six States Distributors in Salem can take care of you. They are out by the airport off Mission.

If your going to have something narrowed, do a '95+ Explorer 8.8 They have rear disks and most have LSD.

Brian can change the bolt pattern to match your 6 lug too.

Cool thanks guys for the advise. I have never dabbed into the rear end narrowing side of things. Sounds as if its a expensive nightmare. Probally should just go with a 73 and up rear end. Mine has a bad wobble on the left side. This is with it up on jacks and in gear. Probally a slightly bent axle?

Cool thanks guys for the advise. I have never dabbed into the rear end narrowing side of things. Sounds as if its a expensive nightmare. Probally should just go with a 73 and up rear end. Mine has a bad wobble on the left side. This is with it up on jacks and in gear. Probally a slightly bent axle?

Put it up on jack stans and put a dial indicator on the flange(remove drum) and spin the axle by hand. The Dial indicator should show you how much run out you have in that axle. How are your axle bearings? Any how you can get a dial indicator & stand for less than $30 At HF.

Also I have had machine shops plug and re drill axle holes to change bolt patten, say if you used a 2WD Rear(5 lug). Or what about an Isuzu rodeo/honda passport Dana 44 with rear disks and some had an LSD, and a six lug pattern. Those were in like I believe the early 90's rodeo/passports. The dana stuff has lots of options for ratios, and lsds.

Happy hunting.

Bryce

If i had my rear axle drilled for a 5 lug could they do the same with the front end? Say from a 6x5.5 to a chevy car 5x4.75?

The would be harder to change the bolt pattern in the front. I was thinking of going from a 5 lug to a six lug pattern in the rear. A common swap when you use a ford 9" in a toyota or chev p/u app with 6 lug.