Security and the Steering Wheel

zerow

I am in the process of getting more parts accumulated for the rebuild on the 610 sedan.

I want to fully secure this car when I am away from it. Already have the kill switch(es) figured out. ;)

I am planning to run the 1971-1973 Datsun 240Z steering wheel (I love the look of the wheel with the center horn button and non-plastic molded center section (that horribly cracks in the CA sun...)

My Question: Is there a steering wheel hub or boss that allows for a stock Datsun steering wheel to be removed for security? I want to keep the original Datsun wheel without bringing a 22mm socket everywhere I go to remove it... :blink:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'll Help. I called NRG and they dont sell a kit for old datsuns... BUT! This wagon has a kit installed in his! Yah got to ask him I guess.. His name is Wagdatto on the forum... Here is his wheel...

IMG00209-20090914-0752.jpg

This is on a wagon 510...

Grant makes a lockable/removable steering wheel hub but I would think you would have to have something made to adapt the Z wheel to it.

http://64.60.165.189/c-107-vehicle-security.aspx

They do make a bunch of adapters so maybe you could modify one.

http://64.60.165.189/c-226-installation-accessories.aspx

Thank You for the replies. I have too many years invested in this car to just trust that a set of locks and a kill switch are going to keep it secure.

A friend of mine that knows electronics pretty well made a special hidden trigger for my LS1 Z car. If I don't activate the trigger, the car will not start. No bypassing this one. It cuts out power to the Fuel pump and the ECU and is integrated into the wiring. If you want to steal the car, you need to tow it away.

Ok I'll Help. I called NRG and they dont sell a kit for old datsuns... BUT! This wagon has a kit installed in his! Yah got to ask him I guess.. His name is Wagdatto on the forum... Here is his wheel...

IMG00209-20090914-0752.jpg

This is on a wagon 510...

wag dosent have a stock wheel tho

IMG_1276.jpg

I guess your right. That is the only thing i could think of unless he modifies the Z wheel to accept the 5 lug grant pattern. It has to be custom pretty much...

I count 6 lugs on the wheel, did I miss something??

Zero In my old non modified post I mentioned Grant. Grant wheels are 5 lug and Grant offers a kit for your car. If you want it six lug then Grant and Mooneyes also offers a 6 to 5 adapter which is also a 5 to 6 adapter If you want that extra hole... Up to you man.

I personally dont like the Grant kit since it kind of looks ugly. So if you want another kit, then you would have to modify stuff...

http://64.60.165.189/showapplications.aspx?year=1975&make=NISSAN%20DATSUN&model=610

Wagdatto uses a kit which I dont know. So like I stated before you have to talk to him and u cant use the Z/datto wheel unless again you modify it.

Zero In my old non modified post I mentioned Grant. Grant wheels are 5 lug and Grant offers a kit for your car. If you want it six lug then Grant and Mooneyes also offers a 6 to 5 adapter which is also a 5 to 6 adapter If you want that extra hole... Up to you man.

I personally dont like the Grant kit since it kind of looks ugly. So if you want another kit, then you would have to modify stuff...

http://64.60.165.189/showapplications.aspx?year=1975&make=NISSAN%20DATSUN&model=610

Wagdatto uses a kit which I dont know. So like I stated before you have to talk to him and u cant use the Z/datto wheel unless again you modify it.

Thanks for the insight. I may have an idea for this now that I am looking at the whole setup...