wanting to ditch my front drum brakes

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

521 front kingpin suspension is basically the same as the 620

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/16105-disk-brake-conversion-521/

This is how: buy custom parts. Either a bracket for the existing kingpin or a custom upper A-arm, then a whole Nissan truck spindle, hub, brakes, and a 1978-79 lower stock A-arm.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/146-disc-brakes-on-a-kingpin-truck/

Also, I'm moving this from Suspension to the Brakes section.

Here is some food for thought depending on how far you want to go.

One of the NZ guys found that the hub and spindle of a particular nissan navara (you guys probably have an equivalent) bolt on to the 521 front arms. This then gives a disc brake and 4 pot nissan upgrade.

marks521088.jpg

marks521089.jpg

A friend of a friend then told me that hilux 5 stud hubs will bolt straight on with minor modification and that nissan 4 pot callipers also bolt directly onto the narvara hubs, so i tried it and it works. Here is some photos for your viewing pleasure.

Thats just a D21 spindle with a 1990 Z32 caliper. Yes, the caliper will bolt to the spindle, but the rotor is not centered inbetween the pads properly and the rotor is over an inch too small. The pads hang over the edges of the rotor by about a half inch.

I have already tried this method, didnt work.

Thats just a D21 spindle with a 1990 Z32 caliper. Yes, the caliper will bolt to the spindle, but the rotor is not centered inbetween the pads properly and the rotor is over an inch too small. The pads hang over the edges of the rotor by about a half inch.

I have already tried this method, didnt work.

You just get a rotor to suit with the right hat height, rotor height and width.

I believe the truck is a 521

I'm working on 1974 620 bullet side. some guy told me that the 720 and the hardbody will interchange I'll have to get the whole front end.I don't know if it will work or not.

1983-85 720 had larger brakes which Nissan continued to use on the Hardbody trucks from 1986+

1980-82 720 brakes were smaller, and very similar to the small disc brakes on the 1978-79 620

The 1978-79 front suspension is very different than the prior years of 620 trucks. There is not bolt-on easy way to get discs using all factory original pieces.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20432-disc-brake-installed-on-a-drum-brake-truck/

You could find a 1978-79 standard cab short bed truck... then just use the frame with suspension and brakes. Put your cab, bed, and engine on it.