places to buy engine parts

i am going to be assembling a l20b. i wanted to know a good place to get some parts. im looking for oil pump, water pump, timing chain kit, and gasket set. i dont want to browse the classified section and get used parts. i want parts from a place that will replace them if they dont work. warranty would be cool. the only place i could think of to look was ebay, but then i would have to pay for shipping from different places. is there a single place with nice prices, and quality products that you know of. i checked rockauto but their high prices offset the multishipping.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i did one better. my dad works at a parts store and even with his discount it would be cheaper to go through ebay buying all the parts at different places and paying several shipping fees. i also called a couple other stores i thought might be winners, same situation.

i did one better. my dad works at a parts store and even with his discount it would be cheaper to go through ebay buying all the parts at different places and paying several shipping fees. i also called a couple other stores i thought might be winners, same situation.

are you checking the same brands/quality of parts?

I can get my rebuild parts for my L28 for about $300 with my discounts

im not being perfectly consistent with brand, but i am keeping quality the same. im somewhere around 175ish including shipping if i go through ebay, i was hoping to find someplace that had everything cause shipping is about 40 bucks worth of it.

Maybe rockauto.com?

Ebay stuff is usually...meh.

as mentioned in original post i tried rockauto. their prices were almost double on some things. not to bash them i have ordered many things from them in the recent past on my toyotas with great satisfaction on price and quality.

When it comes to engine rebuilds, if you cannot afford to do it right... Then maybe you should not do it at all. Get GOOD parts, from reliable trusted sources, yeah, you are going to pay more for the good shit, but the results will speak for themselves. Cheap shit always gives you headaches.

Joe

You mentioned warranty. I would imagine trying to get anything warrantied over ebay would be a pain in the ass. A local parts store would be worth the little extra money if something went bad. I'd rather talk to a person face-to-face than over email. Also, if you get to know your parts guys(assuming they're worth their wage), they can be a great asset.

On the pinching pennies note: if you're trying to build an engine on the cheap, I suggest you just don't. Buy a used engine that works and go with that.

You CAN piece-meal a kit together with random good deals that pop up on ebay, but you could be waiting a long time for all the right stuff to come by... and judging by the fact that you're asking "Where can I get good parts?", you probably don't know the difference between garbage and quality.

Don't take this the wrong way; it sounds like you're out to learn, and that's great. However, learning takes time, and it's a good idea to really do your research before you start shelling out cash.

On a side note: I'm nearing 50k on the engine(L16) I built from parts that the local Napa sold me. Still runs supurb; the only leak I've had was the Front Oil Seal on the crank, which I just replaced($5.44). That's after about 4 years... Not the best parts, but certainly not the worst, and on top of that my parts guys are awesome. I wouldn't trade em for anything.

.... have you called your local parts store? :huh:

pep boys... for your 1 stop shoppin. :hmm:

you going to have to shop for quality.

get what you can from 1 place that has the best shipping.

i probably use 10 different places regularly, incl rockauto.

have not found 1 shop that has all the best of anything...

pep boys... for your 1 stop shoppin. :hmm:

you going to have to shop for quality.

get what you can from 1 place that has the best shipping.

i probably use 10 different places regularly, incl rockauto.

have not found 1 shop that has all the best of anything...

wtf is pep boys?

I get mine threw a supplier at the shop cost or I call the Nissan warehouse.

but you can go to Napa or Baxters or something decent.