another datsun story......

Well my story goes like this; Back in 78 My Uncle came to California to start a new life and one of his first cars was an orange 72 510 that he had bought for 150.00 rust free and no front grill. The firing order was wrong and he replaced a few odds and ends. The following year he bought a 69 white with a red interior and it had less that 9k miles. I remember he swapped the dash in that car for a later year dash and to this day remember all the Datsun boxes and packages around the work bench. He was living with us and my dad was into porsches 914's and my uncle the dattos. My uncle worked for an auto repair shop owned by a German man who raced a Porsche 356 and Renault Le Car turbo. In the summer of 81, my uncle bought another 510 ,this time a 68, and so he had another 510. 6 Days later he bought a 240z with a blown engine, but that is a different story, except for the fact that he parked that one in my dads garage and one of his 510's had to sit on the drive way. The next door lady used to complain to my parents about all the cars, and wondered if they worked for Datsun or something! I think at one time My dad counted 11 cars on our property and street that belong to us. The guy across from us had a 4 door 510 army green with dual su's but my uncle never really talked to that owner. My uncle would pick up 510's cheap. he had bought a red one was painted by a TWA pilot with the TWA airlines paint scheme from way back: the stripes that would go start from the back and end toward the back of the doors. Had libre's. All his cars had 4 speeds. he left those alone, but he did rebuild the 68 with a mean L18 with some nice carbs and cam. He opted for a set of 14 inch turbine wheels and used to complain that they were tall for the 510! One morning one of my uncles 510 was stolen from our house and was found parked on the side of the road without anything missing or damaged. Had a note in the passenger seat saying"Thanks!" and that was that. On his other 510 someone had stolen the factory radio twice. We lived in a nice neighbor hood, but there was always people coming around sometimes following him from work. He would catch thieves in the act, stealing bumpers and rims. I would often go with my uncle to the junkyard for parts and remember seeing 510 's everywhere along with rx2's and r100's mazdas. He had a shelf in the corner of our garage and remember seeing about 3 nos orange needle tachs and clusters along with gaskets and front turn signal assemblies and just bout any new part he could get his hands on. He'd toss some parts in our attic but I think he (gasp!) threw the 68 dash in the trash can, at one time when he was pissed. My parents still own that house but rent it out and I found a couple of 510 head gaskets hanging in the corner dusty and webs. Also found an old voltmeter tach made from a 7up can that was actually plastic. Also found an old Far performance catalog in great shape in a plastic bag. Long story short or what have you, he sold all his 510, and kept the z car. :rolleyes: He is a Volvo tech, into volvo turbo wagons and such, and thinks I am nuts for trying to restore a 510. He said" those cars are very old man!" don't waist your time !!

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic