620 body on an 84 frame

ShootJoeC

My buddy and I are picking up a 78 automatic 620, but I recently found an 84 manual Nissan on craigslist that's local for super cheap. I was wondering if the body from the 620 will fit on the 84 frame to get the suspension and the disc brakes. We also wanted to do a manual conversion, would the motor and tranny be a decent option for transplant?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 78 620 will already have disc brakes, although the 84 may have a vented rotor instead of a solid one.

The 84 should have a Z24 in it. You can't use the 84 Z24 trans with the 78 L20b engine unless you swap the front half of the transmission case with a L trans. It is do-able, I had to swap cases on one of mine, but if you already had a trans to part out for the front case you wouldn't need the 84 trans anyway. Using the 84 engine/trans combo would work.

Even if all of the body mounts are in the exact same place this still seems like way more work than it is worth just to get a manual trans. If the frame on the 78 was damaged or if you were swapping it onto a 4x4 frame I'd say go for it. Otherwise just get the correct 5 speed for the 78.

If this were my truck and the 78 is running good with a solid frame, but I just had to have a manual trans, I would get a 5 speed from an L series engine and get to work on it.

By the way, I saw an ad this morning in the Ratsun classifieds, someone is looking for 620 automatic parts, maybe you could trade.