line x on single wall bed? and other questions

Sickboy1031

I have a 74 620 I got off an old man. I had some buddies do some body work and paint it, we skipped the inside of the bed as i had planned to linex it. fast forward a year and some of the paint is coming off anywhere the truck got dinged and I had a guy i work with leave a battery in the back which slid around and made dents from the inside out of the bed not big but enough to crack the paint on the outside. so on to my questions.

If i line x the bed will this make it any problem to knock in the dents when i get the scratch together to repaint it? and I have had quite a few people tell me i should remove my bedhooks but i like the way they look and i need to decide soon so any opinions would be rad. and third does anyone have any pics of spray in or roll in liner done over the rails? I thought it would look clean and I talked to the linex guy and asked him if I could spray the hooks and he said no problem how do you think that would look? I like tho use the hooks sometimes and if the people will warranty it It would be nice if they had the coating so they wont chip, but do you think that will look like hell?

Thanks for any input

Erik

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

Get a UPOL Raptor spray on kit for $100 on ebay. Datdoug says it was pretty user friendly, and I like the way it looked on one of his old trucks, so that's what I bought. I got 4 liters of material, hardener, and a spray gun to go with. They even make it tintable, so you can take the bottles to a body supply shop and have them add tint to make it any color you want. At $100, who cares if you have to do it again later down the road. I would try to hammer and dolly any dents you have prior to laying a bedliner. They'll be easier to work, as well as being easier to find.

Yes....I DO love my Line-X! I say its worth the price difference. I just stopped in to a local distributor and showed him some "damage" in the Line-X...really as much due to the fact that I work the crap out of my truck...as to any failure on the part of the product...the guy gives me a number of the Denver rep that warrantees the stuff...for Life! I know what I do to my truck...I know the abuse it takes. Yes...single wall beds are a drag...I have a dent from a battery that got loose on me too (I hate it every time I look at that dent!) Line-X will help with softer smaller impact areas. Its tough stuff.

KEEP your hooks! I use them all the time! They look great Line-Xed too! :rolleyes:

Datsun26.jpg

Datsun27.jpg

LineX1.jpg

There are a couple of things I would consider...If yours has a Fuel Sender access (I don't think 620's do) take it off and have it done seperately. I will point out as well...that 521s have that lame front section of the driver's side rear wheel well that is supposed to "come off" for some reason...I had mine taped and they just shot right over it...so that it was smooth and not a line that catches on everything.

LineX3.jpg

If your 620 has bolts in the bed...right behind the cab on the inside edge:

LineX2.jpg

I would suggest taking the bolts loose, tape over the head and then reinstall them so they become useful later..for let's say...HOOKS? :blink: Mine got forgotten and so I will need to "extract" them to bolt hooks on later.

Best to you man.

Oh...PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

First of all you need to ask yourself "do you feel lucky"? Oh sorry. You need to determine what you want out of your truck. Is it going to be a turfed lowride cruiser thats all painted & pretty for show? Is it going to be a full time work truck for dump hauls, lumber hauls, movin your shit out of your ol ladys place? Or somewhere in between? I have had both. I shaved my hooks and it looks reat smooth but then I have no place to tie shit down. I now like the look of the hook. As for the level of the spray in liner, I always liked to keep it under the bed rail line for a cleaner look. I did a toyota truck over the bed rails & I liked it becaues it gets a lot of abuse when using as a work truck. I also like the look of Denveratsuns with the hooks lined too. So you need to figure out what the truck is going to be used for & decide on what look you like best. Then you can research all of the liner options. LineX is definitely going to be the best. Strong durable & if something gets F'ed then they will fix it 4 u. Or you can get the doityourself roll on type. Like Noob said I used the spray on Raptor stuff by UPOL. A very nice product. All you need is a air compressor & some masking tape.

Good luck

You are right doug I think I am going for happy medium on this truck so i will leave the hooks and line them. I think it looks clean enough maybe not show quality but I hate the feeling of not wanting to load things in my truck. When I did my home paint job last time we didnt spray the bed inside because I planned on lining it, but the economy got in the way. i want a pretty clean daily driver that im not afraid to put some stuff in . I have a tattoo shop right on Main street in my town and we are above a bar so the truck gets parked on the street every day sometimes til midnight, I have had drunks pick themselves up by my poor little bullet mirrors so now one is loose and I have been dinged by people parking with no note left, and trash put in the bed. With the bed buttoned up and I just put some 17 inch titan wheels with some 45 series tires on it then its getting lowered next weekend maybe if people think the truck looks nice and isnt just some old truck hosed with paint then maybe they will be a little more careful around it. I will take some pics now with the rims and also with the liner then finally once its lowered and post em up. I have lurked on here a long time but now that im making some progress i feel all social