Buying a 79 620

bogof

I'm going to look at a 79 620 this week. Its a 4x4 reg cab 4 speed short bed. Owner says it runs good, shifts good, and the body looks pretty clean with original paint. It is in a desert so rust shouldn't be much of an issue. What are some of the things I should be looking for? I'm used to bigger rock crawling trucks(I have a SASed Nissan frontier).

Sorry if this question gets asked all the time.

Since everyone like pics.

imagejpeg952p.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That truck looks like fun! But to answer your question, since it's a 4X4 which means someone made it so, I'd be looking at the running gear and frame, checking for good/bad mods, welds, things of that nature. See if they know what axle is under the front, gear ratios, etc. Drive it and see how it feels. Hope this helps.....

Thanks.

I know with the frontier they have a problem with cracked exhaust manifolds, and worn out steering components. As far as bad welds go I can fix that I'm a certified welder. Suspension shouldn't be an issue because I'm probably going to modify that since I want it a bit lower. I already have a rock crawler so this will wind up being a daily driver.

That truck looks like fun! But to answer your question, since it's a 4X4 which means someone made it so, I'd be looking at the running gear and frame, checking for good/bad mods, welds, things of that nature. See if they know what axle is under the front, gear ratios, etc. Drive it and see how it feels. Hope this helps.....

It could have been done by Rv Industries out of Santa Ana, Spencer Low racing, or a host of other companies that did these on contract through the dealerships in the 70's. Typically, they were done pretty well, although I'd look to see if they welded the steering arm to the knuckle on the 30 front :o which has been seen on more than one occasion. the only welding failures i've seen were on the transfer case mounts.

I've only seen the Jeep model 20 under these as well. no bronco 20's

oh, and glad to see you over here, bogof.

Take it out with the guy and try it out. Be sure to use low gear trans case and drive it. Make sure the huubs lock and the 4X4 actually is driving the front wheels. Listen for unexplained noise or vibration. Climb under and look for oil wet spots, trans case, diffs etc. Check the steering joints for looseness and the drive shaft for dents or damage.