4speed shifter

dbuzz77

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a 71 521 (i had a lot of datsuns when i was 20 ish) and i don't remember the shifter going from side to side as much as mine does. is this normal for trucks or is there something i can do? thanks

You'd be a bit sloppy too if you'd been given 'four on the floor' as many times as a 40 year old truck. :lol:

620stuff001Large-2.jpg

There are several places that wear and cause slop.

Find the shift rod #20 and follow it to the back where the shift lever comes down and straddles it. The forks on the shift lever get loose from wear. You could try squeezing them in a vice to move them closer to the shift rod. Or try to slip a suitably thin washer between the fork and the shift rod and held on by pin #19. Perhaps replace pin #19 with a suitable size nut and bolt so that you can tighten the forks inward. Care must be used that some small clearance is left so that the shift lever can still pivot forward and back.

The control arm #37 will also wear and become sloppy at the two #33 thrust washers. Short of dismantling the tranny, :angry: suitable shims can be made and slipped in beside the #33 washer. Maybe you can think of a way to hold them in place.

The worst offenders are the upper and lower #8 cone rubbers. Slip a washer between the upper and the #7 washer and between the lower and the # 5 washer and tighten the #4 nut to squash them tighter.

Check the control pin #17 and control pin bushing #15 for looseness.

• Like 1

The control pin is # 23849 14600 bushing is # 32889 14600

Same as used on the 510, 610, 710, 240z 4 speed.

so are they diff for the 5 speeds? hmm they look the same to me?

This is for the '71 521 F4W63 4 speed which uses an 'A' type Monkey Motion shifter. What 5spd are you referring to?

• Like 1

i see the place where the shifter straddles the bar is worn. i will try a shim and/or a bolt to tighten it . it is amazing when you look at such a small bit of wear can cause 6 " of slop at the top of the shifter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

When I bought my 521 that was a major concern that i may need to replace the tranny but I just replaced the #18 clips and the #19 pin with a 1/4-20 x 1 1/4" bolt and some washers and a nut. It tightened right up and I do believe I may have doubled the value of my truck. :)

• 1 year later...

Hey Mike. Sorry to bring back up such an old thread. But beleive me i have searched, for about 3 days. i know i have read somewhere how to do it, but do no remember how.

how do you remove the shifter shaft? not sure on technical term, but i need to remove the rod that goes into the trans that actually does the shifting.

My shifter was loose. I broke an ear off part #37 in the illustration. so i need to fix that. and would like to add a couple shims to take out the slop.

while its out, i am going to make the ears on #37 a little higher, about half an inch. to technically make it a short throw shifter.

maybe the term monkey motion wont apply to my 4 speed anymore!!!