A87 Peanut...

I've been through this charade once before, but this time my mind is set.

I wan't an un-molested A87 peanut, shipped to 88220.

Let me know what you've got and what you want for it, guys.. pictures help! ;)

Thanks in advance,

Madison

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bump...

I have an 2 open chamber A87's and 1 U67 to trade, as well as an EGR smog exhaust manifold, a couple timing covers, a stock truck L20B oilpan, bare L16 block, couple stock U60 cams, quite a bit of stuff... let me know what you would want to trade and how much cash on my end or yours, depending.

I'm kinda trying to get this done somewhat on the speedy side so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Madison

L20 cover? im intrested in one (or all)

i could be convinced to $ell my (FI notched) W53 head...

whats the condition of the U67?

I've got an L20 cover I can spare..

Don't want to go FI, already have some sweet mikuni 40's...

The U67 was pulled off a low-mileage L20B, no port, no polish, no milling, all stock. :) Great virgin for someone looking to build a U67.

Only 1 person has mentioned they have a closed chambered A87... NO ONE ELSE?

I'm looking to buy one, I have also mentioned parts I would be willing to trade...

Please..? haha

eff that ebay one... haha...

I don't want one with that price tag, I plan on a hot cam and a port job too so don't really want something completely rebuilt.

try Z_Rac3r, I know she had one or two peanut heads

she had a w58 peanut or something. I'm looking for an a87 so I can use my non-smog manifold.

Thanks though, skib! good lookin out!

I've got an L20 cover I can spare..

Don't want to go FI, already have some sweet mikuni 40's...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i got both and cant decide which way to go.

likely carb first, for a better comparison when i do it!

I'm looking for an a87 so I can use my non-smog manifold.

just for that???

any square port head will bolt up!

well, a87 is much more readily availible for less than 500 big ones. 219/v912 is much outta my price range... and I RARELY see a w53. w58 would need chambers welded for same compression... as would u67....

anyway, im looking for a square port, non FI, closed chambered, head. :)

How's that? haha :unsure:

How's that?

concise! :)

youll find one for under $100!

i sold the 4 i had for $100 ea.

$500 for that ebay one is... <_<

for $500 you could buy an A87 and have it totally worked over.

then there is the new rocker arms for that new hi lift cam ;)

what are you asking for the U67?

and what would you spend for a complete A87?

good chance there will be one at the swapmeet in 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

well, a87 is much more readily availible for less than 500 big ones. 219/v912 is much outta my price range... and I RARELY see a w53. w58 would need chambers welded for same compression... as would u67....

anyway, im looking for a square port, non FI, closed chambered, head. :)

How's that? haha :unsure:

I have a rare 210 peanut head 37cc, and it has square exhaust ports.

The best part, this head is a virgin, never been used and is bare.

The only down side is the small ports and valves that will need to be enlarged.

If interested I can send you some pictures and we can discuss price.

I have a rare 210 peanut head 37cc, and it has square exhaust ports.

The best part, this head is a virgin, never been used and is bare.

The only down side is the small ports and valves that will need to be enlarged.

If interested I can send you some pictures and we can discuss price.

i have a closed chamber a87 head. 100 bucks includes exaughst manifold, needs to be rebuilt thought

... w58 would need chambers welded for same compression... as would u67.... How's that? haha :unsure:

Slightly closer. I had a closed chamber W58 from a 200sx.

headW58P-nut.jpg

The W-58 is a round port exhaust anyway.

Uh can anyone explain peanut head to the new dumb guy? what are the benefits, performance, etc....

Like I said NEW guy AKA FNG.

Thanks

Open/Closed/Quench... what does it all mean, Basil?

The peanut head describes it's shape, although it is also known as a closed chamber head. In comparison, an open chamber head is circular in shape and the same size as the cylinder beneath it. Generally a closed chamber head has a smaller volume than an open one and has a higher compression ratio. If you look at a closed chamber (peanut) head you will see that there is a portion of head surface that extends out over the cylinder. The piston, when at top dead center (TDC), is only the head gasket thickness away from touching it. This area where the piston and head almost touch is known as the 'pinch' or 'quench' area.

In an open chamber head, when the piston rises up in the cylinder to TDC the air is pushed ahead of it into the small space there. The air is cooler than the head and contains fuel droplets that finish evaporating which also lowers it's temperature. The mixture is not homogeneous and is richer and leaner in some areas. This leads to some areas of the combustion chamber being cooler (rich) and some hotter. (lean) As performance increases these hot spots are often enough to cause the fuel/air to self ignite or ping. This puts a limit on how much compression can be used on this type of head.

This is where a peanut chamber head has distinct advantages. Now when the piston approaches TDC, any air caught between it and the head surface is violently 'pinched' out into the open area of the combustion chamber. This pinched air is also violently swirling around, which does two things. It aids greatly in mixing the air and fuel particles and this reduces lean 'hot spots' on the combustion chamber surfaces. Good swirl also absorbs heat and cools the valves and the more homogeneous mixture burns more efficiently. Because the peanut head runs 'cooler' the compression can be increased safely with less risk of pinging.

For the full benefit of a peanut head, flattop pistons should be used. This brings the largest area of pinch to bear on the compressed air. Dished pistons have much less 'pinch' and so a reduction in beneficial swirl effects, the larger the dish the less the benefits.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.