280zx front hub bearing procedure

I'm getting ready to drop in my 280zx strut conversion, but need the procedure for the new bearing install. Pressing the races in is straightforward but I'm referring to the specs for tightening the nut. If anyone has the detailed #'s and such, do let me know.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I remember was I cleaned the components and got new bearing seals and then lubed up the bearings and race and all with good bearing grease and mounted the hub assembly and then would use a socket on a ratchet or breaker bar and then snung and back off and snug while spinning the hub assembly. looking for smooth spinning but not too tight to not over tighten the bearings. the bearings themselves do not need to be pressed into anything. I think I have torque specs at home I can send you

Also make sure the bearing and race condition is in good shape or not burned up or broken bearings.

Benzo

Thanks for the replies guys. I am looking for an accurate procedure and torque specs. I got new Koyo bearings and want to do this job once and have it last a long time. Benzo if you have the specs, I'd appreciate the information! I read on the Z car forums it's 20 ft lbs tighten, then back off 60 degrees but wanted to confirm it. A friend of mine is going to do the job for me, and he is actually the one who asked me about this info- and he won't do it without the proper numbers and procedure. I'd hate to go buy the maintenance book for a 280zx since I won't ever use it again!

I would be suprised if there was an actual torque spec. The nut is going to loosen up a bit on you anyway. I usually assemble everything including wheel, but not the castleated cap or cotter pin, then snug it down while spinning the wheel to seat the bearings. If you grip the wheel at the top and the bottom and rock it back and forth, there should be no play. When you have no play in the bearings, you are good to go. Line up the castle cap, install your cotter pin and roll. BTW, you will have to do this job again, as it is regular maintenance to repack front wheel bearings.

You would be surprised to find there are "actual" torque specs for a front wheel bearing? Some noob/ignorant advice/opinion right there. Just about EVERYTHING involving a nut/bolt has a torque spec. ESPECIALLY anything involving bearings. How else could you have any consistency with assembly, wear and repair?

The non back yard fuck up procedure (or manufacturers procedure w/e term you prefer lol) is to torque the assembly to 18-22 ft-lb, check that it spins freely, then back the nut off 60 degrees or until the cotter pin will fit though the castle nut.

BTW it is not regular maintenance to repack the front wheel bearings on a 280zx. Not according tot he FSM anyway. Unless you want to count when the day comes you will have to change the bearings, which is not regular maintenance.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am looking for an accurate procedure and torque specs. I got new Koyo bearings and want to do this job once and have it last a long time. Benzo if you have the specs, I'd appreciate the information! I read on the Z car forums it's 20 ft lbs tighten, then back off 60 degrees but wanted to confirm it. A friend of mine is going to do the job for me, and he is actually the one who asked me about this info- and he won't do it without the proper numbers and procedure. I'd hate to go buy the maintenance book for a 280zx since I won't ever use it again!

My chilton manual says the following

torque locknut to 18-22 ft. lbs. turn the hub back and forth to seat the bearing and re-torque the lock nut to the same figure.

turn the locknut at least 60 degrees to 75 degrees until the nut is aligned properly for the cotter pins

also it says for zx hubs front wheel bearings should be repacked every 24 months.