A15 stock carb trouble

Datsun fan

Hi fellas

Last week my truck mpg dropped about 20% , I checked the carb (Hitachi stock coolant type)

and I found it dirty especially all around the upper gasket with gas smell,Well obviously

there was gas leakage and bad gasket.Then I replaced that gasket with one I made of good

quality and checked the float,jets,needle valve,no dirt in gas bowl and screwed in tight ..

.... What can I say ... that was just piece of cake :D .

Now the engine is hard to start (10 and more tries and elec choke works) and after choke is

disengaged,pushing and releasing gas pedal quickly will cause engine death :angry: ,I have to feather

gas pedal from idle a little (850 RPM) in order to avoid stalling then it works fine .Sight-

glass indicates gas level is 2 mm over the notch (same as it was) .The engine idle isn't

that smooth . Anyway I searched for air leak,gas leake/flood with no luck .

anyone has ideas, clues ............. I feel like a special needs mechanic

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you said you checked for vacuum leaks, did you spray carb cleaner around base, carb area, intake and hoses. Or you just tigthened it. When I install a carb, I usually just snug it. Then I spray carb cleaner around area and if theirs a vacuum leak your RPM will slightly go up.

After checking the carb I found to things:

1- The carb accelerator pump rubber thing was sliced apart although I'm sure I put it back right

according to Datsun 1200 club WTF :angry: , Anyway now it is replaced

2- The fuel cut off (hexagonal thing) valve was NOT tight (about 2 turns) and without

gasket/washer, Anyway tightened . Then carb cleaner test ...... pass

Now the carb is working fine again .Another success episode of Ratsun !

Thank you guys ;)