pin switch's for a 521

jrock4224

anybody know what pin switch will work in that hole in the door jam.....i tried a standard one and the hole is way to big... wanna add courtesy lights when i open the door....and how big is the fuel tank in my 521, ggallons not dimensions...seems 9 gal fills it up every time...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 521 just had empty holes in the door jam...I found one at the JY that had rubber plugs in them..so I grabbed them and now thats what I got. :rolleyes:

The factory light has a little switch in the bottom of it to activate it.I am not sure if there ever were actual switches there or not.

10.8 gallons for 1970-1971 Datsun 521 trucks. :cool:

actually thats t=what i tried bu the holes were to big in the factory location......i actually am trying to get some underdash lights up and running...i was gonna try to incorp the poverhead light too n the circuit since its right in the kick......i just kinda wanted to use the holes already there for my pin swiches but inless i mill something up i havent found a pin switch that works... pics would be great

• 2 weeks later...

i think i have the only 2 521's with door jam switches. i used under hood light switches which are the same switch. most are worn but i found a few that are not so worn. 620 door jam switches work too. most datsun switches will work.

clean the connector on the back of the switch and bend all the mounting prongs out before installing to insure a snug fit.

• 2 weeks later...

i think i have the only 2 521's with door jam switches. i used under hood light switches which are the same switch. most are worn but i found a few that are not so worn. 620 door jam switches work too. most datsun switches will work.

clean the connector on the back of the switch and bend all the mounting prongs out before installing to insure a snug fit.

are you talking about that swtich thats has the white nipple under the hood? any idea where to get some of those.....any pics of the switcheds in the truck ... either the pic of a 620 switch or the 521 hood switch...

here is mine. the 620 door switches will work too. yes i always grab the ones under the hood when i see them at the junk yard. you can buy new ones for other datsun models on ebay an newdatsunparts.com but i think they are way to expensive.

the hardest part is running the wire down the a pillar. i was going to take pics the last time i did it but i forgot.

101_0425.jpg

101_0428.jpg

101_0429.jpg

I've never been a big fan of the spring loaded, 'open' style door switch. On my Rambler, I used two brake light switches and put those in instead. I used one jam nut on each side of the switch hole. They had to come in from behind, so it was a little bit of a pain, but the switches are enclosed and adjustable. I ran the ground to an eyelet and just screwed that to the kick panel sheet metal. Used the existing lead to the 'always hot'. If I remember right, I used a pair of those little stick on bumpers for cabinet doors on the doors themselves as the throw on the brake switch is shorter than the throw on the 'real' switch.

My .02 cents, FWIW. :D