flush old oil?

paradoxx

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but theres a little product called "motor flush" that I use ever few oil changes. It's a nice little thing that you add before an oil change. Just run the engine for a few minuets after adding the motor flush and when you drain the oil, you take a lot of the gunk with it. It's done a nice job of cleaning up my valvetrain on my A15 that was sludged up. It's all nice and shiny now.

LG_MF3.JPG

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the composition of that Gunk engine flush is petroleum distillates, solvents, moth balls, and a solvent chemical normally found in degreasers...

You would be about as well off to dump some paint thinner in your motor...

Always check the MSDS sheets and find out what that stuff is made of before you toss it in your engine. I would be very surprised if that stuff didn't do a good job of making your oil look very clean after one use...however, I kind of wonder what long term effects a chemical cocktail like that would have on an engine.

i would suggest using AMSOIL engine flush and put a new filter on ....you remove your old filter put a new one on pour this in and run the motor for 15-20 minutes and discard filter....drain oil(will take awhile i usually let mine set for at least half an hour before proceding to put a new filter and reinstalling the drain plug and dont for get to replace the crush washer!......the stuff does a very through job of cleaning the motor.........it is also recommended when switching from dino oil to synthetic oil......i have used it for years on my cars and many customers cars...

catalog its on page 21....

MSDS SHEET ON IT.....

aef_bottle_300pxh.jpg

if your engine has a ton of miles on it i would probably not flush it.... its a good way to loosen up things that were relying on that gunk buildup as a cushion and keeping tolerances tight. The crud fills gaps that have evolved from wear and lack of maintainance. If its running good just do an oil and filter change.

Well i've used many different types of motor flush and have never had any issues with them. Like anything follow the directions and please never drive a vehicle with any type of flush! Don't know why any body would be that dumb anyways. I can personally vouch for the major brand motor flush that when used as directed work fine. I have used these products on 56 chevys to 2002 hondas and never had any issue. Keep in mind most engine oils have a detergent in them already, so changing the oil before it turns black like midnight is a no brainer and does the same thing. Worked 10 years in the auto aftermarket business (sema.org) and can say (because I worked for some of the manufacturers) that changing just regular oil on a routine bases is the same effect as switching to synthetic. Synthetic is only superior when driven longer than the recommended oil change. This is why even synthetic should be changed just as often by the manufacturers suggestion by your vehicles recommended change cycle read the label. They are in the business of making money period. Plus we are talking about engines made of steel iron and aluminum. Not plastic so 5 min of detergent wont hurt anything. Also any residue will evaporate or be burned due to normal driving. So flushing afterwards only looks good if you have deep pockets otherwise a waste. In california the Gas has detergents in it already so injector-Carb cleaner is pointless, have to hand it to the marketing companys for the "sludge" commercials and the Shell gas ones for removing carbon for making there clients more money, cant speak for other States.

Just change you regular oil regularly and everything will work fine.

BTW all oil paper filters including stock have a certain oil pressure relief valve that bypasses the filter all together thus making them useless. Look for a cleanable oil filter and pay the extra money and you will always have truly filtered engine oil. Check out http://www.gopurepower.com/ they are a good start and no I don't work for them.

Later player!

A little off topic ATF in oil was mentioned so I will ask this here.

My buisness partner says to put some ATF in the fuel also. What do you all think about that? Is it a good idea?

I know some old timers will put 2 cycle motor oil in the gas tank when a piston ring is stuck, or to help lubricate the valve train...myself, I don't recommend that unless you have no other options and no money to fix the problem the right way.

Not sure if they would use ATF for the same purpose, but, I wouldn't dump ATF in my gas tank...not quite the same as engine oil. If he is suggesting it just to help keep things clean, there are tons of after market additives that will work nicely. Unlike motor oil flushes, most fuel system treatments do not have the potential to cause the kind of internal damage a bottle full of detergent can when dumped into the motor oil.