VG30 Question..

RatRod25

So im goin to look at a 88 pathy tonight. the guy said the key for the lower timing sprocket rolled causing the timing to jump exactly 2 deg. he said he tore it apart and put it back in time and the truck idles fine, but the second you give it gas the key rolls again.. he said it probably could be welded back on and that would fix it?? I havent seen the truck yet so i dont know exactly what the key is doin but my question is if it jumped time 2 teeth on the belt do you think the valves could be bent? thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 89 d21 with the same vg30i. Always wanted a 2 door pathy, they are my fav. A 5 speed vg30 2 door pathy is a nimble little thing too.

Idk if I would believe the guy but if you do 2 degrees won't bend valves. A simple comp test can confirm. The vg30i is the lowest comp vg there is (short of maybe the Mercury villager).

Idk what you mean by key? You mean the key that holds the crank timing sprocket? I can't imagine how one of those would roll on a vg30i, even if you over rev the engine the belt is going to (and does) skip teeth long before. If you mean something else please elaborate a little.

You can't just find a vg30i at a junk yard, they are hard a shit to come by. You can take a vg30e though and just use the stock vg30i top end. Thats what I did. Like 1.5 years ago I dropped a W gen vg30e with 80k miles into my 240k d21, lower mileage and higher comp it's win win. There are one or 2 slight differences like the vg30i crank snout is longer. Nothing crazy though.

I have a 89 d21 with the same vg30i. Always wanted a 2 door pathy, they are my fav. A 5 speed vg30 2 door pathy is a nimble little thing too.

Idk if I would believe the guy but if you do 2 degrees won't bend valves. A simple comp test can confirm. The vg30i is the lowest comp vg there is (short of maybe the Mercury villager).

Idk what you mean by key? You mean the key that holds the crank timing sprocket? I can't imagine how one of those would roll on a vg30i, even if you over rev the engine the belt is going to (and does) skip teeth long before. If you mean something else please elaborate a little.

You can't just find a vg30i at a junk yard, they are hard a shit to come by. You can take a vg30e though and just use the stock vg30i top end. Thats what I did. Like 1.5 years ago I dropped a W gen vg30e with 80k miles into my 240k d21, lower mileage and higher comp it's win win. There are one or 2 slight differences like the vg30i crank snout is longer. Nothing crazy though.

How much would bend the valves? Is the i an interference engine? The first part said it jumped 2 degress, the second said it jumped 2 teeth, which is a bunch more than 2 degrees...

It is an interference engine, the Merc Villager is the only one that's not. Ya I didn't notice he said 2 teeth the 2nd time, 2 teeth and I would be concerned. Its a 20 tooth sprocket so 2 teeth would be what 36degrees lol? I'm not sure how many degree would equate to bent valves but damn 36 is a lot. When I did the timing belt prior to the engine swap I was off a tooth. I redid it but 1 tooth/18 degrees didn't harm anything.

Which is it teeth or degrees? lol

Ive seen reports of the crank sproket keyway become loose from z31 guys. Its though to say if the crank journal would be damaged or not. While its unlikely, it is possible. If that failed it would not have had a chance to re-engage the key way on either the sprocket or the crank until a complete rotation. I would pass on this motor unless you are prepared to rebuild/replace it at some point. Same problem If the timing belt ever breaks.

I have heard of this a few times and it takes a new crank to fix the prob if the valves havent been crushed. The crank is hardened steel so no welding unless you really know what you are doing and it would probably just break again. Ive seen vg30 motors on ebay for $500 or less.