280Z fuel tanks

greybeard

OK, Did some searching and came up empty, so I hope someone has an answer.

I'm looking to put a FI fuel tank into a 240Z, I thought I read a thread here that had said an early

280Z FI tank will fit a 240Z. I know at some point the floor changed over the tank in the 280, and my Hollander interchange book says all 280Z tanks are the same.

So, who knows the answer....

A- is there an early and a late 280Z fuel tank and the Hollander is wrong.

or

B- All 280Z tanks are the same and will not fit a 240Z

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

75-76 tanks will fit in a 240z.

They have the indent for the spare tire well where the 77-78 tanks are more of a "twinkie" shape because the later 280z lost the in floor tire well and went to the new "space saver" spare tire.

Im running a 75 tank in my 73 with EFI.

75-76 tanks will fit in a 240z.

They have the indent for the spare tire well where the 77-78 tanks are more of a "twinkie" shape because the later 280z lost the in floor tire well and went to the new "space saver" spare tire.

Im running a 75 tank in my 73 with EFI.

And Hollander is wrong. I have a 76 tank for you cheaP dorra round eye!!!!!

I Installed a 76 280Z tank into my 240z. The tank fits fine but you need to get the longer J bolts that hold the straps. Also, if you are planning on doing any spirited driving, you will get fuel starvation issues when cornering with less then a 1/4 tank. You will need to install a surge tank

to keep a constant fuel supply while cornering with low fuel levels.

I do track days in my Z so I always keep the fuel at half a tank or more. I need to install a surge tank. Normal street driving is no problem.

I Installed a 76 280Z tank into my 240z. The tank fits fine but you need to get the longer J bolts that hold the straps. Also, if you are planning on doing any spirited driving, you will get fuel starvation issues when cornering with less then a 1/4 tank. You will need to install a surge tank

I do track days in my Z so I always keep the fuel at half a tank or more. I need to install a surge tank. Normal street driving is no problem.

ya youl want the 280z mounting straps, I never had any starvation issues with mine tho :confused: maybe im just driving hard enough :rofl:

Oh and i will throw in the straps......now that is cheap dorra round eye.

• 5 months later...

Willing to ship it to CA?

Are Datsun blocks blue?

If this is similar to "Is the Pope a Cadillac?" "Does a bear shit in the woods?" "Did Rose Kennedy have a black dress?" then it fails as some blocks are silver-gray as well. Truck L20B and all NAPS Z blocks I have seen are blue. My L18 is silver-gray.