620 tach problems'

A few month's ago a fusible link fried in the engine compartment(coming from the battery). Searched all over and nothing else was visually wrong, so the link got replaced and I went on my way. That night, I noticed a dash light out in the tach gauge spot. The next day, I noticed that the tach it self was working funny...Ignition off or on(non-running engine): tach reads Zero like normal.. but when the engine is running, the tach reads 3600-4000 at idle and 5000-5700 depending on the actual RPM. Only have a swing of about 2000 RPM on the gauge itself, all of which happens with the needle reading over 3500 the whole time..

Could the bulb out be a grounding problem in the tach? Are there more fusible links under the dash??

(but wouldn't a burnt link or dash light out cause more problems than a weird tach?)

Wiring and I aren't exactly the best of friends but the problem need to be fixed...any help would be appreciated

Thanks, RustyRat

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a factory tach... the needle position is a little different than I described I guess, but not by much..

No key on; needle at zero.. key on, engine not running; needle at 3000...running at idle 3000-3400 RPM...anywhere in the driving range 4300-5300 depending on what electronics are on..heater on; needle drops by 200-300 rpm, same with the lights; 200-300 rpm lower when on.. blinker on; needle dips 200-300 with each time the relay activates

Buddy at work said something about a ground, but I'm wondering why more not F---ed up by this if it is a ground problem..

Cases like mine are probably why those electrical shops love people like me...

Thanks, RustyRat

Have you tried wiring the tach direct to see if it's not screwed up? (not through your wiring harness)

I have thought about that, but haven't done it yet...partly because I have no idea how to remove the dash and gauge set. When I find out how, I plan on some tunes at least to take my attn away from the other things I could do to make the 620 better, for a little while anyway. Always something to do to it, seems like never ending project..

Check your points. File and gap them. Tighten all connections inside the dizzy. I always new when my Dart needed new points... the tach would jump around slightly.

Just recently,RisingSun had an add for 'Datsun Parts', I picked up the remote dizzy and finally got on the 'EI Dizzy' train, so to speak..and still the tach problem is there. I know how to drive with out a tach but it's stock, it's there, and it once worked before the fusible link burnt out, so it's just bugging me to fix it.. I installed the new EI dizzy between rain squalls one day last weekend(late X-mas present for myself). It was out of a '78 620 W/Manual so the dist #'s show from Jason Greys' FAQ for EI dizzys'/dizzy spec..shows for 12deg BTDC at idle and that's where it's at (haven't played around W/timing yet to see how much I can run, but that's a different days' playtime.)