Datsun A14 powered L320 ?

Not real sure which forum was best for this question, thought about doing it in "Datsun Trucks" however being that my question is related to the B210 engine powering my 320 I wasnt sure anyone in there would be able to answer it, so here I am. I'll start off with an introduction. I'm not new to the Datsun/Nissan world, my first car was a 1977 280z which Ive had since 2003, to which I followed up with a 1994 300zx (RIP was totaled when an F250 rearended me.) I also have a 1987 300zx Turbo with 85k miles, an 09 XTerra 4x4 and just recently purchased my L320. The truck is in truly remarkable condition. Im in Texas, but purchased the truck from an individual in Los Angeles so it has very little rust. The interior was recently redone and it runs great. My plans for the truck are a daily driver in Honolulu. My wife and I are moving there this spring. Im hoping it will fill that role nicely as the speed limits there are never over 55 and thats on the freeway. Right now Im getting some preventive maintnence done at a "Z" specialty shop in the LA area, and Im just trying to decide what all to have them do while they have it to get it where I want it (which is ina position to give us as little trouble as a 45 year old car will) So I guess before I get to in depth where should I go for those who have some knowledge on the B210 engine on this site ? P.S. - I'll post some pics of my truck, as well as my other Datsuns soon. Glad to be aboard the forums here at Ratsun.net.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! Always thrilled to have another 320 around the forum! And a nicely upgaded A-series engine too. I look forward to pics.

I am more visual than mechanical, but you have come to the right place for info. A-series engines are pretty damn reliable. I believe it was once said that when the nukes hit, the only things left will be cock roaches and Datsuns. :D

Sounds like you are in pretty good shape. If it is running and stopping good and is pretty rust free, man you are golden! If you are looking into upgrading. There is some advise on Front Disk brakes somewhere around here.

AND PICS PICS PICS PICS!!!

Hey thanks for the welcome. Big fan of your artwork by the way. Just joined the site today but have been browsing for a week or so since I found the site, did I see where you have a 58, or 59 Datsun ? If so thats awesome, Ive had my eye out for one of the first year imports for a while now.

As far as the condition of my truck. At first I was bummed that it didnt have an original engine, but the more Ive read and been told, Im probably beter off this way as parts arent as hard to come by, and at least its still a Nissan/Datsun engine. The brakes were supposedly all redone not long before I purchased (although I had to have all the lines replaced as they looked pretty rough just to be safe) It stops pretty well though (as well as can be expected with the drums all around) The only other problems I ran into were the brake lights werent working (had to rewire them, and when that still didnt do the trick figured out there was some corrosion in the sockets so refurbed those and POR-15'ed them and that did the trick), had a little seapage from the valve cover, so replaced the gasket and that was fixed, lastly there was some leakage from the clutch slave....so still tryin to sort that out by finding a rebuild kit ( It wasnt bad but that sort of thing drives me insane so I fig might as well fix it now) Some of the other things Im curious about depending on advice I get from those who may have already had the experience are - Disc Brakes, Weber Carb(s), updated ignition, alternator upgrade, finding out the best route to get better hwy speeds and thats about it (Unless anyone has any other suggestions) Anyways thanks again for the reply, looking forward to more...

A14 from a B210 would be a good swap. It will have more power than the stock E12 engine, and is lighter weight than the E12! But I suggest it will still be slow. I would put a larger engine such as J18 or L20B in there.

Mmmmm J18. How I dream of you! If I could ever find one! The bonus is it would have bolted to your original motor mounts I think. Pretty sure the a14 required new motor mounts to get it in there. In fact I am curious about your setup. Can you take pics of your mounts so I can see how they did it Wylder?

Oh and I changed your title for you!

Aright guys, here are some pics. These are the ones I got from the previous owner right before I bought it. I dont have any current ones (although these are all of 3 months old) because the car is in Los Angeles, and Im in Texas. I flew up there made the transaction, and now its at a Datsun Specialty Shop getting some things done. I will try to scrounge up the photos of the engine that I got as well. Let me know what you think.

Datsun_Truck.jpg

PB050008.jpg

Datsun-2.jpg

Datsun-3.jpg

Aright guys, here are some pics. These are the ones I got from the previous owner right before I bought it. I dont have any current ones (although these are all of 3 months old) because the car is in Los Angeles, and Im in Texas. I flew up there made the transaction, and now its at a Datsun Specialty Shop getting some things done. I will try to scrounge up the photos of the engine that I got as well. Let me know what you think.

Wozers that is a total beaut man! Big congrats!

Couldnt find your pics purple....newb here ha but thats cool that you have the A14 in your 59, was hoping to run across someone who has experience with it. Did you do a rear-end swap as well ? Or still stock ? Also curious about the carb, are you using stock or did you upgrade ? Love your 59 by the way....man do I ever want a pre 60s Datsun, havent had any luck finding one though....either that or the holy grail that is the 61 roadster.

http://s69.photobucket.com/home/purple59datsun

Sorry, here is the link. I got the car 10 years ago with the A in it. My friend and I redid it about 5 years ago to fix the mistakes. So we made good motor and tranny mounts, and the frame was cut off at the firewall and we di it right too. I plan on a Datsun rear from the donor B210 I had. It currently has the Courier rear it came with. The suped up A14 that it came with is waiting for new gaskets which is the only problem it had. The 5 speed that was init had gone bad and is waiting a rebuild. I found a cheap wrecked donor with 12K original so that's the A14 and 4 speed in now. That motor is truely an untouched.