clutch question

I am currently restoring a 65 L320 with a J-15 motor and behind it is a 4 speed floor shift Dogleg I think, Before Disassembling the truck for restoration I got the truck running to make sure everyting was running ok. The only problem was the clutch pedal goes almost all the way to the floor before the engaging. I have installed new clutch and slave cyclindar I even went as far to make new a longer rod between the slave unit and clutch fork that holds the thow out bearing. TO me it seems the throw out bearing has to travel to far down the input shaft of the tranny before it engages the pressure plate. There is to much space between T/O and pressure plate in the future after the clutch wears in I will have no adjustment left. Are the parts matched correctly? I am baffled plus I'm pretty much new to the forum and the Datsun world so give me your opinion, I have measured all the parts in case you ask.

thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently restoring a 65 L320 with a J-15 motor and behind it is a 4 speed floor shift Dogleg I think, Before Disassembling the truck for restoration I got the truck running to make sure everyting was running ok. The only problem was the clutch pedal goes almost all the way to the floor before the engaging. I have installed new clutch and slave cyclindar I even went as far to make new a longer rod between the slave unit and clutch fork that holds the thow out bearing. TO me it seems the throw out bearing has to travel to far down the input shaft of the tranny before it engages the pressure plate. There is to much space between T/O and pressure plate in the future after the clutch wears in I will have no adjustment left. Are the parts matched correctly? I am baffled plus I'm pretty much new to the forum and the Datsun world so give me your opinion, I have measured all the parts in case you ask.

thanks

Ok I'll just give you a small check list

Have you had a chance to look at the linkage under your dash to begin with ( Clutch Pedal Linkage inside the cab ) ? ( bent pins , wallowed out holes , missing hardware or bolts by chance , if so this may cause serious engagement issues to begin with ? Just a thought before tearing away ( my parents 1998 ford explorer gas pedal assembly fell off the fire wall ! spot welds came loose , and a wallowed out pin hole , fixed with some grade 8 bolts , and inserted a bushing with an E-Clip !

(1) Did you bleed the clutch master/slave cylinder enough ? ( pressure than gravity drip by opening slave cylinder bleed valve and at least bleeding through one small bottle of DOT-3/4 compliant ??? ( people in my experience have different ideas on how long to , method , and execution of bleeding hydro systems like brakes , just a thought ???

(2) Slave Cylinder bolts are nice and tight ?

(3) Look inside the cab , at the top of the clutch pedal linkage , the thread stock to the clutch master cylinder ( did you try to adjust both ways or close to where it was to begin with ? )

(4) Clutch Fork Arm Not Bent ? ( after removing for inspection , take off fork arm and take a peek ? Big american old classics will bend the fork arms through abuse , and heavier clutch packs installed , I have seen it but never have seen on a datsun so IDK ? )

(5) Have you had a chance to inspect the pressure plate ? ( broken springs possibly , have had that happen on my ranger did some weird things after , but not sure )

(6) Do you have any history on the machining tolerances or possibly a cracked clutch disc ? ( I have blown one up before , funky symptoms ! lol !!! )

(7) It is very possible parts are mismatched like you said , I have seen it a couple of times ! ( brother had some CUSTOM CLUTCH LINKAGE , WWWWWOOOOOOOOO , LOL !!!

(8) Any other history or highlighted details on the truck you can give us ?

Thanks for listening !

DTP

P.S ( make sure to check your flywheel for hot spots (blue/brownish type in my experience) or scores and see if you need to turn or able to salvage at all ! I would have them turn at the absolute minimum ! course might be less of a hassle to get a good used in specification one ? just a thought ! I have only had a couple of flywheels turned thanks to the clutch dumps , and power shifting in my old 81 rx-7 , LOL !!! Good times !!!

Let us know so we can help you soon hardhead320 !

By the way, we are talking about the bearing retainer, not the throwout bearing which fits on the retainer. So NAPA and other parts store won't have it.

Give us more details: Was this a problem BEFORE and AFTER? Or just started after you reassembled the truck?

* If it was a problem before, you may have the wrong part

* if it was fine before, it may be adjusted incorrectly