520 dash in a 521...bolt in?

jrock4224

So in the forsale thread i seen that truck with the all steel 520 dash in it... is it a bolt in .....I have been watching ebay for a decent dash pad for over a year now and aint seen nothing...figured all metal might be a better option.... just exploring my options over the brittle mess i got going right now....still looking for nos side markers if anyones got any....

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup it is a total bolt in, except, I think the defrost vents are a little different. I have a 520 in my 521 and it came with 520 vents. I am not 100% sure of this, but think that is how I remember it.

Direct bolt in but the vents in the 520 one are smaller and dont use the trim rings that the 521 do. If your 521 dash is a cracked shitty mess it is a relatively easy fix. Step 1.. remove the dash....step 2..remove the top section.. step 3 fill in the cracks with something like expanding spray foam,allow to dry and sand down. step 4... get vinyl at your local fabric or crafts store and a good spray contact adhesive. spray glue to back of vinyl and the dash surface and allow to dry completely. Wrap the dash cap with the vinyl and trim to fit then reassemble the dash and reinstall. Good as new. If the corners are a bitch super glue will work great to adhere vinyl to vinyl. Might as well repaint the metal face while your at it.

Direct bolt in but the vents in the 520 one are smaller and dont use the trim rings that the 521 do. If your 521 dash is a cracked shitty mess it is a relatively easy fix. Step 1.. remove the dash....step 2..remove the top section.. step 3 fill in the cracks with something like expanding spray foam,allow to dry and sand down. step 4... get vinyl at your local fabric or crafts store and a good spray contact adhesive. spray glue to back of vinyl and the dash surface and allow to dry completely. Wrap the dash cap with the vinyl and trim to fit then reassemble the dash and reinstall. Good as new. If the corners are a bitch super glue will work great to adhere vinyl to vinyl. Might as well repaint the metal face while your at it.

That's actually a great, practical plan! I may just try that when I gut my interior....I would imagine that headliner spray adhesive would be the way to go in adhering the new vinyl...

i actually was gonna pull the dash and powder coat it.....is the dash textured in the paint or in the metal like old chevelles and there seat backs.... i just didnt want to put that crappy dash pad back on...that idea sounds ok for fixing might try that if i cant find a decent 520 dash for it... tdaj got one laying around???? i assume the vents defrost worse than the stock one..... i think my blower is crapping out....and is my switch right, fastest on first notch out...slowest all the way out........pulled all the alt stuff out and trying to make the bracket work after i get it charging again i will decide on the dash issue...