Wanted 79 PU rear axle shaft passenger straight

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The part numbers show that any year 620 axle will fit. This is just the axle not the wheel bearing/grease seal,bearing cage, shims, or anything else, although they may also be the same. The passenger and the driver's side axles are the same and interchangeable.

I'm actually not sure what year the rear end is out of. It's in my 521, but I got it years back out of a jy. It was just laying on the ground. I know that its wider than the 521 and I thought that the 78 and 79's were wider than the early 620's. I drove it for years, then when I put on the disc brakes I discovered the axle shaft was bent. I searched for info on the rear axle widths (which I thought I had found before) but couldn't find now. Any help would be appreciated.

Pat

ps I posted this under part wanted where it belongs, but couldn't figure out how to delete this posting.

As I said I got it out of a jy. I had it out yesterday trying to straigthen it. It was bent in two places. Right at the bearing and about six inches back from the spline end. I managed to straigthen the spine end (smaller easier to get at), but the flange end was a no go. There's about .015 tir flange run out and about .010 tir register diameter run out. I shimed the hat to take out the flange run out, but can't do much with other run out.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.